Remembrance Sunday

Nelson PK
Nelson PK Posts: 3
edited December 2011 in Campaign
Guys, a genuine enquiry from a family-orientated cyclist.

What would you do if you happened across a Remembrance Service while out for a Sunday morning ride?

I ask because our village service was peppered with road cyclists passing this morning. They clearly knew the service was taking place because they peddled slowly past. But some went through during the two-minute silence, and others while the last-post was being played.

I'd like to think I would have dismounted beside the community police officers and the stationary cars. What would you do?

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    People fought for our freedom. That means freedom of choice - ie people have the right to ignore the 2 minute silence if they want.

To try to suggest everyone must do as you want is contrary to what those who died fought for.

I personally would have stopped and paid my respects, but it is the right of everyone to make their own choice
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You joined a forum to ask that particular question? Bit strange IMHO.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • yer gran
    yer gran Posts: 186
    I regard Nov. 11th as a day of remembrance and have a 2 minute silence then. This is also the only day that I choose to wear a poppy. I regard Remembrance Sunday as a religious service and having no religion myself.....
  • Thanks for taking the time to reply.

@ spen666 - I understand the personal choice point. For those making the choice to stand in silence it was disappointing that these cyclists disturbed that moment.

@ yer gran - I'm not religious either, but our children were involved through cubs & scouts so it was our personal choice to remember the fallen on the same day as the main Remebrance event in London.

@ cooldad - Many of the folk at the service got themselves a bit wound up about "those bloody cyclists." I decided to try and find a forum for keen cyclists and understand what might have motivated these guys to ignore a village ceremony. I don't think I've found an answer TBH.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Nelson PK wrote:
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.

@ spen666 - I understand the personal choice point. For those making the choice to stand in silence it was disappointing that these cyclists disturbed that moment.

@ yer gran - I'm not religious either, but our children were involved through cubs & scouts so it was our personal choice to remember the fallen on the same day as the main Remebrance event in London.

@ cooldad - Many of the folk at the service got themselves a bit wound up about "those bloody cyclists." I decided to try and find a forum for keen cyclists and understand what might have motivated these guys to ignore a village ceremony. I don't think I've found an answer TBH.

The answer is in Spen's reply. Spen is usually pretty efficient at putting his point across, but I don't think you needed him OR a cycling-specific forum to answer your questions.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Would you have been equally upset with cars that drove past or people who walked by? I can see why it was disappointing, but when you are out training hard, stopping for 2 minutes would really screw your performance up.

I'm not sure what I would have done to be honest. I suspect I would not have realised until I had ridden through.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think he's long gone.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools