Parliament square cycle accidents

Xaxa
Xaxa Posts: 12
edited January 2012 in Commuting general
Hi all
Three weeks ago I was hit from behind off my road bike by a top end taxi going round parliament square at about 20m past the lambeth bridge end traffic lights and just outside the tents that are always there - on my way round in the centre lane to carry on to embankment etc. In the morning rush hour! To say am a christmas tree on wheels and very conservative cyclist is an understatement! V bright and v visible and very ( slow) non speedy compared to other roadies!

I had the bike shunted from underneath me- luckily I was not clipped in as I hate this bit so- landed on my ass - and compressed spine and broke a vertebrae and coccyx etc.I am lucky to be alive and not to have been hit by someone else as I lay on the floor with my broken back!!I hope to make some recovery but early days and still in heaps of pain and immobile really but hoping this is a positive thing to do while I rehab.

Bike flew away and shockingly was untouched damage wise. Just after i had new brakes fitted too ( if yo gave me advice in these last time I posted!!!)

CCTV is not going to be readily available due to the location outside parliament and the high security hence why this happened over three weeks ago and no police report.

Obv I am am awaiting the police report so am not commenting on that but in the mean time I am planning on raising some storm if I can on the dangers of cycling round the square with cars crossing lanes all over the shop, tourists etc etc. I have no information on how many accidents happen here but am convinced there must be others like me!

What I am wondering is- has anyone here also had an accident on this sq? What are your concerns on this junction and does anyone have any ideas that could help cyclists stay safe?

I am on twitter on this but if anyone else is also already trying to raise the issue please let me know!!

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,146
    Accident statistics are normally available from the local authority if you're really interested, however they charge for the information (do you have any mates at the council?)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Crumbs, that's not good.

I don't ride around PS anymore, and can't say I miss it.

My concerns were:

1. other road users (bikes included) cutting you up;
    2. other users rushing to get through the lights and shunting you from behind;
    3. the man-hole covers on straddling the inside and middle lanes on the bend round to the Wesminster Bridge approach (on the Birdcage Walk corner); they can be lethal in the wet.

Hope you heal fast and that everything works out.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Was that in morning rush hour? If so I didn't see it but I saw you being attended to. Sorry dude and hope you feel soon. Must admit that yours is the only accident I've seen on PS but then in only recently back on that route after 18 months elsewhere.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Crikey. I crushed a vertebra during an unexpected dismount. It is the very opposite of fun.

My permanent, long-standing, advice is to write everything down ASAP to assist your memory. Be as careful and cautious as possible during the recovery. Do what the doctors tell you.
    I'd also advise caution on trying to kick up a stink about junction design etc if you're planning on legal action against the taxi. Patience in this will only help you -- lawyers are devious, tricksy gits, and the more you speak before court, the more potential ammunition you'll be giving them. After the court case, if any, go nuts.

Out of interest, do you know which vertebra?

Best of luck, fella, I hope you heal.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • I think I saw the aftermath as well. Lots of police around and people helping. Hope you recover soon.
    Westminster Council have a road safety team so they may be able to help you.
  • Xaxa
    Xaxa Posts: 12
    Yes was me in rush hour stopping the traffic! In my pink girl jacket!

Getting there back wise- fractured pelvis/ sacrum area a bit too so still not moving that much but getting better daily!! Have a lawyer on the case now but thanks to advice - kept all my paperwork etc and receipts! Not sure will ever use a bike again sadly as simply petrified!!!

Keep safe on parliament sq!!!