What do you want from a sportive?

Brian B
Brian B Posts: 2,071
Given that there are several threads about sportives and how they could be improved I wondered what the average rider actually wanted from a event.

For my tuppence worth I want the following in order:-

1. Good signage is a must. Have had a few sportives in the early days ruined by bad signage and ended up with a lot of people all over the place.
2. Most roads in the uk can be bad at times but some sportives just seem to send you over the worst roads in the country. Road surface should be included in the event write up.
3. I dont want much from feed stations just a few items want to stick in my pocket but want them to be placed on average about every 30 odd miles on a 100 mile run. Would also want a track pump at feed stations to get max pressure in your tyre if you have had a puncture.

I must be lucky as most events I have done have been great but some have been ruined with bad roads and signage.
Brian B.

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    1 Stunning scenery
    2 Friendly faces to ride along with
    3 Quiet, smooth roads
    4 Efficient but unobtrusive organisation
    5 GPS plot of the route to download - even if its only sent out right near the event to keep an element of surprise
    6 Value for money
  • nhoj
    nhoj Posts: 129
    Put me down as the third one who ranks a good course (smooth road surface, beautiful scenery, decent signage, etc.) & minimum feeding above timing chips & marketing dross. It shouldn't cost more than a few pounds each.
  • Hippies, I can't explain why, but I'd love to see more hippies on bikes.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Hippies, I can't explain why, but I'd love to see more hippies on bikes.

I'd settle for more young ladies on bikes. The entire roll-call from "ladies in lycra" on a sportive would ensure my attendance - no matter where it was!!!
  • signage and route are top for me.
    I would quite like an option where you could have a basic entry where you don't pay for the food stops as I dont tend to stop at them
  • signage and route are top for me.
    I would quite like an option where you could have a basic entry where you don't pay for the food stops as I dont tend to stop at them