Dishwasher salt - yes or no with tablets

Fru T Bunn
Fru T Bunn Posts: 159
edited November 2011 in The bottom bracket
My dishwasher tablets say they contain salt. Do I need to put salt in the machine too?

Comments

• DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Always have done myself but for goodness sake, don't by the branded, (i.e stuff you buy in the supermarket), versions of it, go to your local builders merchant and buy a bag of rock salt, (the kind you chuck on your paths and drives in winter), I'm still using mine from 3 years ago. Cost me about £8.

But then I am a tight git.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Fru T Bunn wrote:
    My dishwasher tablets say they contain salt. Do I need to put salt in the machine too?

The salt is only used as a water softener so depending where you live you may not need it at all. I live in a hard water area and use the all in one tablets, I haven't bought salt or rinse aid for ages and my dishes are sparkling!
  • Nice one. Thanks.

Dishwashers are great.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Fru T Bunn wrote:

The salt is only used as a water softener so depending where you live you may not need it at all. I live in a hard water area and use the all in one tablets, I haven't bought salt or rinse aid for ages and my dishes are sparkling!

And on the other side of that, I live in a soft water area and the dishwasher has never seen Salt or Rinse Aid.
    The answer to the OPs question is to move to a soft water area and then you don't need to worry about Salt or Rinse Aid.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • DIESELDOG
    nwallace wrote:
    Fru T Bunn wrote:

And on the other side of that, I live in a soft water area and the dishwasher has never seen Salt or Rinse Aid.
    The answer to the OPs question is to move to a soft water area and then you don't need to worry about Salt or Rinse Aid.

Or don't be such a lazy ar$e and do it all by hand. :wink:

Love n hugs

DD

(Says she with a mahoosive dishwasher and only 2 people in the house)

• nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Suppose, but there's better cycling roads in soft water areas...
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Isn't this what wives are for? Tssk.
  • DIESELDOG
    CiB wrote:
    Isn't this what wives are for? Tssk.

No, it's what husbands were for :lol:

Anyway, I'm lucky, I have a long enough chain to allow me out of the kitchen, speaking of which, guess where OMAHB is now!!

Well trained. :twisted:

Love n hugs

DD

• carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Fru T Bunn wrote:
    Nice one. Thanks.

Dishwashers are great.

Certainly are. Bring cassettes and chainrings up a treat.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    D D said

Have I missunderstood ?, why would you need a husband to get into a dishwasher? and where do you get one?

P S never used salt as well.
  • DIESELDOG wrote:

Fella's are still relevant. I have to stack the dishwasher. It's like tetris.

The missus stacks one thing on top of another and wonders why things come out dirty.
  • Fru T,

Glad to realise that i am not the only one with a spatially challenged OH. Thankfully youngest is being well trained to practise his tessalation techniques via the medium of the dishasher 8)
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Me too. Dishwasher Tetris that is. Made all the more tricky by the fact that the bottom rotor has stopped working, so anything inverted has to go in the upper basket else it comes out mucky.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Before we got a dishwasher I made sure that my wife had small feet so she could stand nearer to the sink and not hurt her back leaning over the dishes!