Five Ten Impact care.

DR1V3R
DR1V3R Posts: 79
edited November 2011 in MTB general
Hi all

I have recently got a pair of Five Ten Impacts but I am wondering what is the best way to look after them?

I went out on my first ride in them at Whinlatter the home of the puddle! They got absolutly soaking and took forever to dry out and they now stink. I thought about putting them in the washing machine but when they get wet they weigh a ton so I dont really want to do that.

What does everyone else do, apart from avoid Whinlatter :?

Cheers

DR1V3R

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    slow dry with newspaper inside. do NOT put them in the washing machine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    do not put them on a radiater either..

i use the news paper method and have had the same pair for nearly 3 years now...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I use Dryzone Boot Dryers (basically gel stuff). Can get them for regular boots but mine I got for ski boots which are just bigger versions. They're okay for drying out the insides. Not amazing. Good for ski boots, but Five Tens still soak up way too much.

Radiator is fine, but just be careful. Not too hot, upside down and short periods on the radiator, take off and check. Fine for clearing the initial heavy soggyness and then I dry out with the gel stuff.

Annoyance I find is if you ride in sandy areas when wet, the sand gets deep inside the filler stuff in the shoes. Drying gets the water out but not the sand.
  • rrice
    rrice Posts: 23
    Try a Therm-ic boot dryer. Cost about £35 but dries boots and shoes really quickly and absolutely no stink. Also warms them nicely before a winter morning ride. Really pleased with mine.
    S-Works Enduro
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000
    Cannondale Rush 2
    Kona Explosif
    Mythic Morphine
    Giant Defy Advanced
    Carrera TDF
  • Will have to try something else as mine stink like cat p*ss. If however I find its actually my cat. Then goodbye kitty