More Bridleways - ePetition

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    But if you put in a vague request you'll get nothing.

I don't know if anyone north of the border wants to comment, but I haven't heard any stories of cyclists being forced off bridleways because they've also got access to footpaths in Scotland. That doesn't seem like a likely thing to happen. If we were asking for cycling specific routes to be built then yes, I could see it, like if I ride on the road and get told to ride on the cyclepath on the pavement, even though I'm allowed to be on the road, and the road goes where I want to go and is in better condition that the cyclepath. But I don't think that's like the bridleway/footpath conundrum.

I think it should be a clear request for Scottish access laws to be introduced down south, phrased in a general 'improved access' way, rather than a 'mountain bike' way. Then we can get the 'bobblehats', MTBers, and general outdoorsy types on board too.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or just ride them, don't make a nuisance and generally you'll be ignored.
    Busy footpaths are no good for riding anyway, so stay on the lesser travelled ones, smile and say hello to the bobbleheads, stop and pull over if necessary, and don't worry.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bails87
    Cooldad, I do ride them, but if someone's going to malke a petition it should make sense and ask for something acheivable.
    MTB/CX

• cooldad
    I agree but don't have any faith I petitions unless maybe they appeal to the masses like bringing back hanging.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bails87
    unless maybe they appeal to the masses like bringing back hanging

Shirley you mean the anti-capital punishment one that got more signatures than the pro-capital punishment one? :lol:

I agree that they're a bit pointless though. You sign it, it might reach 100,000 signatures, or a whopping 0.167% of the population, then our dear leaders might talk about the issue, then they probably won't do anything after talking about it. If they even bother to talk about it at all, which they can just choose not to. And they onlyhave to think about talking about it f it gets to 100,000, which only three have done so far. Woohoo, democracy in action! :lol:
    MTB/CX

• cooldad
    Having whizzed through some of them, I depair for the future of mankind.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    mat-ster wrote:
    Everyone please ask others to sign this Petition - Once it gets to the 100,000 mark it WILL be discussed and has a very realistic chance of being acted upon.
    This is happening more frequently now in Parliament and they're getting a little annoyed that they ever agreed to let this happen. However the tactic is to discuss it but very few turn up and generally nothing happens, a report is produced to reply to the petition and a lot of time and tax payers money is wasted.

100,000 on this however is extremely unlikely. Something like the price of fuel yes as that affects everyone.
  • if these epetitions work or dont im not sure but i find it very strange that any knob head from a mountain bike forum would not support wanting more bridleways, we all dont ride at nice trail centres some m/bikers like knarly bridleways, and there not full of horse riders, a lot of the bridlepaths in the north of england not really suitable for horses
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • bails87
    i find it very strange that any knob head from a mountain bike forum would not support wanting more bridleways,
    We love you too.

Building 70,000 miles of bridleway would be expensive. I would support a change in access laws, allowing bikes to use footpaths (not pavements). Then there's no need to build a load of bridelways.

How would you feel if you local council said
    "Oi, Mr Cloudynights, you've got to remove the fences on two sides of your garden and replace them with gates meeting specification XYZ so that we can meet our quota of new bridleways. Also, don't stop anyone walking, biking or riding a horse through your garden. Chop chop.
    Yours sincerely

Northshire Council"

That is a massive ball ache for councils, govt and land owners.

Changing the access laws requires no construction, no replacing of gates, just paperwork. Probably still a ball ache, but less of one.
    MTB/CX

• most footpaths are not mountain bike friendly, the national trail could be part used as well as linking up exsiting bridle paths which is being done at the moment from the peak district up to the lakes none of which goes through back gardens, farmland yes moorland yes but not back gardens, i think that getting the whole thing debated would be a start, goverment wants to build a highspeed rail link to the midlands then further north, i dont think wanting more bridlepaths is a need for any hysterical pen pushers outbursts
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • Anonymous
    Aside from stiles on some footpaths (not all of them have these), most are not much different from singletrack except no berms. Very bike friendly.

Bridleways often take the route of farm or forestry vehicle tracks and can involve huge churned up tyre tracks, which are not very bike friendly.

Maybe I'm used to southern bridleways and haven't experienced the glory of them up north, but down here they're dull and boring farm tracks in the main. Almost tarmac in places.

That amount of bridleways still will require a hell of a lot of new ones to be allocated. Okay, not through someone's garden perhaps, but if you're a farmer you wouldn't want one to be allocated through the middle of your crops.

As has been said, raise the profile of demanding access and you get a big fight on your hands with the bobble hat wearers (some of whom have a lot of influence and status, compared to us scruffy drunken bike riders). That despite the fact that bikes may have been using the place all along anyway, just without a legal right of way. An example is a case I'm following down in Devon where the NT want to build bike trails on their own land, where riders already ride, and suddenly the local NIMBY bobble hats are out in force insisting the entirety of nature will be destroyed as a result.

Also - bridleway access just promotes further the perception that bikes should be treated and restricted the same way as horses.

A Bike Is Not A Horse

and to quote

"1968 – Section 30 of the Countryside Act; permits the riding of bicycles on public bridleways but they must give way to other users.The act says that it “shall not create any obligation to facilitate the use of the bridleway by cyclists”"
    http://singletrackworld.com/2010/09/onl ... all-areas/
  • epetitions are a joke ,made up to think you have rights.
    the tax on fuel one,last month is a prime example.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Maybe I'm used to southern bridleways and haven't experienced the glory of them up north, but down here they're dull and boring farm tracks in the main. Almost tarmac in places.

You must be riding the wrong ones, although sanitisation is reducing the good ones.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Scottish access laws rock: essentially I can walk, ride, paddle, camp (away from roads), light fires, ski or whatever - pretty much wherever I want so long as it's self-propelled. A few test cases have clarified the "back garden" clause - for instance some obnoxious millionaire failed to convince the courts that his 80-acre estate was his back garden, but Anne Gloag (Stagecoach, normally a non-obnoxious millionaire) managed to get 12 acres around her house declared as such. And craftier landowners are making increasing use of the ability to ban people due to a specific event at a specific time.

But actually there are factors affecting Scotland that don't work as well in England. One is that there is a history and culture of open access, which, although far from universal, has always been part of the Scottish outdoor scene. The other, of course, is that Scotland has a lot more empty spaces.

Still it's nice that I can literally head out of my back gate and ride across a couple of fields to the nearby woods whenever I want. Don't get jealous now ;-)
  • diy wrote:
    What we need is a nice vague request simply to increase the facilities for riding in the countryside, by allowing cyclists access to more of the countryside. This way you don't go head to head with the bobble hats.

Exactley - this is a petition worth signing, because it does not put conditions on how MORE bridleways are made available.
    if these epetitions work or dont im not sure but i find it very strange that any knob head from a mountain bike forum would not support wanting more bridleways, we all dont ride at nice trail centres some m/bikers like knarly bridleways, and there not full of horse riders, a lot of the bridlepaths in the north of england not really suitable for horses
    Words of wisdom...
    Bridleways often take the route of farm or forestry vehicle tracks and can involve huge churned up tyre tracks, which are not very bike friendly.
    Is that not part of the fun...
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    deadkenny wrote:

Aye :roll:
    6199744545_550a53c61c_b.jpg

6201571016_8d4fcd5da5_z.jpg
    Not a dull and boring farm track :wink:
  • bails87
    mat-ster: Calling someone who disagrees with you a 'knob head' is 'words of wisdom'......? :roll:

Where will these bridleways be built? And by who?

You aren't asking for (in my opinion, the sensible thing of) increased access for MTBers, which I absolutely support, you're asking for more bridleways. Which means building new ones, or converting footpaths to bridleways. It might be that there are some footpaths that have been downgraded, where they could be made suitable to be classified as a bridleway with no work, just change the sign and job done. But enough to match the current level of footpaths? I doubt it. The vast majority would be newly constructed bridleways. And based on what? Nothing to do with the succesful laws in Scotland, just a "there are X miles of this, so there should be X miles of that too". There are more miles of local roads than motorways, but if someone suggesting building enough motorway to match the current miles of local roads people would think you were mad.

Ibbo: That stuff looks brilliant. But why not allow MTBers to use the hundreds of miles of similar footpaths? There isn't going to be 70,000 miles of new bridleway that looks like that, not in a million years. As you can see from the pointlessness of most cycle lanes, if councils get a target to build 10 miles of something, they'll build it where it's not wanted, where it won't be used and where it'll be the least disruptive to other people.

I don't want the person who designed this:
    bingham.jpg to be picking routes for new bridleways just because gov't has told him he's got to provide X miles of it by a certain date.
    MTB/CX

• squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I can't help but think that some of the people commenting on this are thinking about themselves and not the bigger picture. Would it be bad, for example, if they opened up 10,000 miles of new bridleway that was "boring"? If that extra 10,000 miles helped more people to get out and enjoy being on their bikes away from ever more dangerous roads I'd be happy.

I once cycled the track that runs down from Guildford to the south coast. It was incredibly boring, but I was really impressed by how many families I saw out on their bikes. From that point onwards I've always had it in my mind that giving more people access to such paths would bring a real shift in the attitude to cycling.

By the way, I signed the petition.
  • Anonymous
    Well there's no chance of getting bridleways like they apparently have up rocky north from those photos, down here in the south. If they build any it will be flat and dull.

Sure, gets lots of people out there cycling, but as I said before it also gives ammo to the woolly hat brigade to insist bikes stick purely to these bridleways and allows them to get them banned from all the good singletrack.

Anyway. It won't happen. I'd much rather we convert to the Scottish system or even something like shifting liability for users of land to the user where they are unauthorised. i.e. if a land owner is trying to kick bikes of their land it's often more because they would be liable if someone has an accident. If liability was all on the rider and they were made fully aware of this, then some would be more responsive to bikes on their land.
  • sniper68
    bails87 wrote:
    Ibbo: That stuff looks brilliant. But why not allow MTBers to use the hundreds of miles of similar footpaths? There isn't going to be 70,000 miles of new bridleway that looks like that, not in a million years.
    Building BWs is not the answer,as you said allowing bikers to use existing FPs is the answer.The BWs in my photos are old packhorse/drovers routes and in some cases old Roman military passes,years of erosion and wear and tear has created them,you just can't build that :?
    Getting access rights changed isn't going to happen.When they CRoW act was passed in 2000 bikers/horses were deliberately excluded.
    I've posted this before when we tried a similar petition.It's from Richard Benyon MP,Minister for Fisheries and Countryside(Defra) Here's the conclusion:-
    Mr Ibbo**** made suggestions for changes to current public rights of way legislation, but
    the Government has no plans to introduce access provisions in England similar to those in
    the Land Reform Act in Scotland.

The legislation has already been subject to a recent comprehensive review with direct input
    from user groups. In autumn 2008 Natural England set up a Stakeholder Working Group
    with a focus on the issues around the planned extinguishment by the Countryside and
    Rights of Way Act in 2026 of pre-1949 public rights of way not yet recorded on the official
    definitive map held by surveying authorities.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    More reason to tell them what we want rather than how to deliver it. If the question is please can cyclists use footpaths and have the same right to roam rights as in scottyland. The answer will be think of all the drunken yobs on their BMXs scaring the bobblehats and disturbing mr badger. What about the children they will say.

Whereas if the question is please can better access to the countryside for off-road riding to encourage all types of cycling from families out with their kids to cycling enthusiasts who want more challenging environments. There are obvious economic, health and feel good benefits. Currently cyclists have been excluded from legislation to open access to the countryside. etc etc, reworded in to sentences etc.
  • bails87
    Diy: I agree with that second paragraph, I just don't see why it's mutually exclusive with the Scottish style access law.
    MTB/CX

• sniper68
    diy wrote:

Whereas if the question is please can better access to the countryside for off-road riding to encourage all types of cycling from families out with their kids to cycling enthusiasts who want more challenging environments. There are obvious economic, health and feel good benefits. Currently cyclists have been excluded from legislation to open access to the countryside. etc etc, reworded in to sentences etc.
    I have a copy of the original letter we sent to our local MPs somewhere,I'll dig it out.Mine (AFAIK) was the only one to be passed on to MR Benyon.It was very professionally done and worded to include all cyclists and to encourage new people to get out there.The answer was exactly the same.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    So... where are those 2 pics of ibbo ? They look great :)
  • sniper68
    DodgeT wrote:
    They're on the Watendlath to Rosthwaite descent on the Borrowdale Bash in the Lake District.They're just a short section of a long and varied classic Lakes descent 8)
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    ibbo68 wrote:
    DodgeT wrote:
    They're on the Watendlath to Rosthwaite descent on the Borrowdale Bash in the Lake District.They're just a short section of a long and varied classic Lakes descent 8)

Got to do that looks fantastic!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • sniper68
    1mancity2 wrote:
    ibbo68 wrote:
    DodgeT wrote:

Got to do that looks fantastic!
    Strange ride,16 miles.50% Tarmac but with 2 brilliant descents.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Think a new thread in the rides section is due...
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    bails87 from what Ibbo68 says - that request has been made and the answer is no or at best not for another 15 years. By which time I will be wearing a bobble hat and shouting at the drunken bmxers because I am too deaf to hear them coming up behind me ringing their bells.
  • sniper68
    Letter in Full if anyone interested:-
    Nobel House
    17 Smith Square
    London SW1P 3JR
    Telephone 08459 335577
    Email helpline@defra.gsl.gov.uk
    Website www defra.gov.uk

Angela Smith MP
    The Arc
    Town Hall
    Manchester Road
    Stockbridge
    S3620T
    From Richard Benyon MP
    Minister tor Natural Envlromnent and Fisheries
    Your ref: RC/IBB001012/01100922
    Our ref: MC 201472
    14th October 2010

Dear Angela
    Thank you for your letter of 30 September enclosing one from your constituent, Paul
    Ibbo****of , High Green, Sheffield, about access for cyclists.
    The Government is committed to improving access for cyclists and Mr Ibbo**** will be
    pleased to know that Natural England's plans for implementation of coastal access include
    proposals to identify opportunities to provide local access improvements for cyclists.
    The Countryside and Rights of Way Act required local highway authorities to take a
    strategic view of their public rights of way network by preparing rights of way improvement
    plans to improve the network for users such as cyclists. Most authorities have finished their
    plans and we hope that they will now take these forward and implement them, Defra would
    also encourage cycling groups to co-ordinate their efforts, and work with local authorities
    and other user groups to improve the bridleway and cycle network in local areas in line with
    the plans.
    Mr Ibbo**** made suggestions for changes to current public rights of way legislation, but
    the Government has no plans to introduce access provisions in England similar to those in
    the Land Reform Act in Scotland.
    The legislation has already been subject to a recent comprehensive review with direct input
    from user groups. In autumn 2008 Natural England set up a Stakeholder Working Group
    with a focus on the issues around the planned extinguishment by the Countryside and
    Rights of Way Act in 2026 of pre-1949 public rights of way not yet recorded on the official
    definitive map held by surveying authorities.
    The Group had a balanced representation from the user, land manager and local authority
    sectors. The idea was to work together to suggest how the system could be streamlined,
    and to propose associated reforms that would deliver real benefit to all sides.
    The Group concentrated on making strategic proposals as to what needs to be achieved
    through legislative and procedural reform making 31 specific proposals to Natural England
    for change in this area. Natural England published those proposals in March of this year
    and the Government is still considering them.

RICHARD BENYON