Saddles on different bikes

portland_bill
portland_bill Posts: 287
edited November 2011 in Road beginners
I'm just wondering whether anyone thinks it's important to use similar saddles on different bikes?

I have my XC bike and my road bike, and I need a new saddle for my road bike and I noticed Wiggle are doing the Prologo Kappa for £25 in clearance so I fancied getting one of those, but then it crossed my mind about spending time in two different saddles and while I get used to one, it might cause problems with the other.

Am I talking nonsense coz I feel like I am?

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    It's hard enough to find a saddle that "fits", if you've got one i'd stick with it.
  • Well no that's the thing. The one on my road bike is a cheap and nasty wide thing with about an inch of padding. Like something you'd get on a 10 year old's bike from Halfrauds.

I've been riding my XC bike for the last three years so I'm pretty used to the saddle on that, but I don't want to have to keep taking the saddle off my XC bike to put onto my Road bike when I want to use that and vice versa. The seat posts are different sizes too so it's not even like it's a case of just slipping it out of one and into another. It involves dismantling every time, so I just want to get one seat for one and one for the other, but I was wondering if it would make sense to try and get the same seat as I have on my XC bike to go onto my Road bike, if that makes a bit more sense.
  • I thought as much.
  • furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    I have 3 different bikes, 3 different saddles. One's a cheap pro-lite, one's a Selle Italia Thoork, and another is a Selle Italia Max gel flow. All three do feel different, but I get along with all of them fine. Then again, they all have cut outs. I did have a Fizik Aliante (or something - stock saddle which came with Wilier Izoard) which didn't have a cut out, and I absolutely hated it!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've three different saddles on four bikes.
    If anything I'd think it better to have different saddles just so your bum doesn't get too set in its ways.

It's a bit like running shoes. Most runners use several different pairs.

That said - I doubt it matters too much.

If the saddle is comfy - go with it.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Your bikes might change, but your ar$e won't .....
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    cadseen wrote:
    I have the same design sella flite saddle on all my bikes.
    Its the way to go

Depends on what each bike does. I have a fizik poggio on my road bike, ideal for the machine. My tourer by contrast has a nice big comfy Brooks B17. I have no issues switching from one to the other.

D :D
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    If you can afford to then yeah makes sense to stick with the same saddle, personally although I use the same model on my road bikes I tend to just have cheap Charge Spoons on MTBs as I spend less time in the saddle in them so it doesn't bother me.
  • rich164h
    rich164h Posts: 433
    Diogenes wrote:
    cadseen wrote:
    I have the same design sella flite saddle on all my bikes.
    Its the way to go
    Depends on what each bike does. I have a fizik poggio on my road bike, ideal for the machine. My tourer by contrast has a nice big comfy Brooks B17. I have no issues switching from one to the other.
    D :D
    Exactly. I wouldn't want my B17 on my race bike as it's too wide (and heavy, but lets put that to one side for a minute) for such an extreme riding position, whereas on my tourer the much more upright position is perfect for the B17. I also definitely wouldn't want the much narrower saddle from my race bike on my tourer for all day / multi-day riding. It would be agonising!