Tyres for mud - Continental vs Panaracer

rob13
rob13 Posts: 430
edited November 2011 in MTB general
Having just picked up a Genesis its shod with Conti X-King 2.2 tyres. I've heard a lot about the mountain kings but little about these.

I have a set of Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1s which are almost new. Which would be the preferred tyre for the muddy stuff? Its mainly trail centre stuff therefore usually always wet and soggy in winter!

Comments

• bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    fire xc pro tyres would be best for mud. tho you could sell them and get a pair of maxxis medusa tyres.
  • In my experience, the FireXCPro tyres are by far one of the best all round tyres you can get.
    They'll claw through most of the shallow to medium mud, handle the loamy and dry stuff well and still provide very good speed.

If the FireXCPros are working in the wet stuff, stick with them. Most trail centres trails tend to drain quite well, sure you'll always have you muddy sections, but it's finding a happy balance. However, if trail does not drain well and is a a pure mudfest, then switch to a mud tyre.

Another mud tyre that I've seen many riders use is the Specialized Captains. I haven't tried them, but seen them fitted to many a bike when partaking in a rain soaked and muddy event
  • albo
    albo Posts: 260
    Thought about Maxxis tyres?
  • albo wrote:
    Thought about Maxxis tyres?

And which Maxxis tyre would that be? The Swamp Thing? The WetScream?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Rob13 wrote:
    Its mainly trail centre stuff therefore usually always wet and soggy in winter!

For most trail centres, just stick with a standard knobbly-ish tyre... Very few get properly muddy, and mud tyres end up being a hindrance rather than a help.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • albo
    albo Posts: 260
    What Northwind said.

Most the guys I bike with just choose a pair of Maxxis tyres. Which set is really down to riding style and personal preference.
  • i used to love how my conti vertical tyres performed in the wet and mud until i used maxxis high rollers they may cost a bit more but they are completely worth it ,they handle so much better in any condition and ive done around 300 miles on a set so far and have loads of tread left so i think they last pretty well to. just my opinion