Pollution

Jcrossland
Jcrossland Posts: 29
edited November 2011 in Commuting general
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else is concerned about road pollution and breathing it in etc? I have read a few articles that suggest riding through rush hour traffic can increase the likelihood of lung and throat cancer so i am concerned. My morning commute is very early about 05:00 so i dont see cars normally but coming home from work at 16:00 - 17:00 is really a totally different story.

Does anyone use any filters or masks?

Cheers

James

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    MTFU. Seriously.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    No
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    Nope, and you see very few riders wearing them. They are horrendous things especially for glasses wearers in the winter. Not sure about how effective or hygenic they are either.
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    When I ride in rush hour traffic I dont sample the air like a machine. If I see a bus belching exhaust, I hold back. If I have to pass near a belch, I hold my breath. If there is a route around a regular traffic jam, I take it or make it.
    I wonder how different the air quality results would be if they used "smart sampling" . Could be an interesting project for environmental scientists.
  • MTFU. Seriously.

Cooldad. Only asking a question. If you didnt like it no need to troll! :D

Cheers everyone else for thoughts and opinions.

James
  • cooldad
    Jcrossland wrote:
    MTFU. Seriously.

Cooldad. Only asking a question. If you didnt like it no need to troll! :D

Cheers everyone else for thoughts and opinions.

James

My opinion. MTFU.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    What do you think car/bus/tube passengers/drivers are breathing? :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    Yes, I'm concerned. Have a listen to this:

http://thebikeshow.net/is-london-air-killing-us/
  • shisaa
    shisaa Posts: 82
    I wear a face mask when commuting. In a perfect world I wouldn't be using them, as they aren't great, but I think pollution is real problem, and there is plenty of evidence that backs that up whether you choose to believe it or not.

As for whether pedestrians or others are using them, pedestrians generally won't be breathing as heavily as cyclists, nor will they be traveling directly behind traffic. Doesn't bother me what others are doing. You look at the evidence and make an informed decision for yourself.

It also depends on your health. I certainly notice the difference.
  • bails87
    Meh, my commute is through the countryside, I have to worry about dust when the combine harvesters are out, but that's about it :wink:
    MTB/CX

• cooldad
    bails87 wrote:
    Meh, my commute is through the countryside, I have to worry about dust when the combine harvesters are out, but that's about it :wink:
    And the lovely aroma of cow poo
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bails87 wrote:
    +1

When I first arrived in Inverness, I wondered what the odd smell was - then I realised it's what fresh air smells of!

I hate the sulphurous smell of coal fires but not many of those on my commuting route and it's normally too windy to be an issue.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bails87
    cooldad wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    And the lovely aroma of cow poo
    It beats diesel!
    MTB/CX