Newbie with a question about tyres

Weedy23
Weedy23 Posts: 13
edited November 2011 in Road beginners
Hey all,

Firstly I'll say hello as I'm brand new to the forum! I'm completely new to cycling (haven't done any cycling before, other than the odd ride to school 15 years ago!) and have set myself the challenge of LEJOG in 2013. I now have a road bike and the correct gear and am hoping to get out over the next year and get training.

The question I have is this:
The tyres that came on the bike are completely slick, I'm tempted to use these as a summer/training tyre (also looking at getting a TurboTrainer for when it's just too miserable to go outside) and buy a new set of tyres with some grip to ride on outside. The set I'm looking at currently are the Continental GatorSkin Road Tyres, but I'm not sure if they'll fit my wheels (700x25mm - I think). I keep seeing different sorts of tyres (clincher etc) and am unsure what I need... Can anyone help me out?!

Thanks!!

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Tread on such narrow tyres isnt particularly important - the pressure is so high that aquaplaning like a car tyre might do isnt an issue eg 100psi vs 35psi typically. What's more important is the rubber compound for grip. Assuming you are looking to ride over the winter then really i'd suggest buying something suitable for the conditions you will see. I'd personally suggest Continental GP 4 Seasons at 700x25 size for the cold winter months and then get some lighter tyres for the spring - Schwalbe Ultremo ZX HD for example.

The Gatorskins are good (probably better for all year round use) if you just want one set of tyres for year round use.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I'm a fan of Schwalbe tyres (not that I dislike others, schwalbes just work for me so I stick with them).

28mm Marathon plus on the winter bike (probably as p* proof as you can get but heavy).

25mm Durano plus on the summer bike (a good balance between p* protection and zip).

I'm very P* averse though, if you'd rather trade off protection for a more racy feel then Paul's suggestions might be more suitable.
  • Hey guys,

Thanks to both of you for the advice, I'll take it on board and mull it over. As for the type of tyre, what would suit my wheels? (Sorry for the stupid questions, I really am a complete newbie!!)
  • Wirral_paul
    What wheels do you have?? Make and model?
  • They're Giant S-R2's.
  • Wirral_paul
    The wheels should be suitable for either 700x23 or 700x25 clincher tyres. You may be able to squeeze a 28mm tyre on if the frame / forks have clearance but really - probably not worth it unless you are particularly heavy (100kg+).

For the winter i'd go for a 700x25mm tyre - should give a bit more comfort and grip at the expense of a little bit of speed.
  • Thanks Wirral_Paul, very helpful! Watch out road users of Oxfordshire!!
  • Wirral_paul
    No problem. Let us know what tyres you go for and what you think of them when tested