OT: Parkrun

bails87
bails87 Posts: 12,998
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
Anyone done any of these? I heard about it the other day:
http://www.parkrun.com/home
parkrun organise free, weekly, 5km timed runs around the world. They are open to everyone, free, and are safe and easy to take part in.

There's one local to me so I think I'm going to give it a try tomorrow morning, it'll be good to get a time and a ranking I reckon.
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Comments

• How does it work then? Do you do your run round the world in 5k increments? Or have I deliberately misread that? :lol:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    :lol: I suppose it depends how much of the world you're running round. :wink:

They mean 5km runs in various locations.

There is one in Camp Bastion if you fancy it though :shock:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Chap at my firm goes regularly, and I'm on their mailing list but no longer living in an area with a group.

It is a 5km race run by volunteers so that it is free. You have a personal bar code so that you get a recorded time when you finish and the time is also saved on their web site so that you build up a log of results.

There are hundreds of places that have these groups (each Saturday morning) and its free. In short pay Nike £20 for 10km or go to a park and run for free, but get the motivation from it being organised like a race.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've been doing them since they started near me. Its a good thing to do. 5k is a good distance for all ages to start with.
    Really nice atmosphere and its fun to marshall too. Its the running version of a club time trial I reckon.

Just make sure you register before tonight as the system shuts off at 7 ish tonight - just print off your barcode and off you go.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I've run the Richmond one a few times. Really good fun, well organised and well intentioned. The missus also runs it sometimes.

Word is, if you want to run a PB in West London head for the Bushy Park event, which is a flat course.