Which Trail center?

Jamieg285
Jamieg285 Posts: 98
edited November 2011 in MTB beginners
I'm relatively new to off-roading and don't yet know what my ability level is.

I'm pretty much central to 3 Trail centers and was wondering which would be the best one to go to first, to get started and not go too deep too quickly.

Which order would you recommend visiting :

Chicksands
Woburn
Aston Hill

I'm not into Downhill (yet :twisted: ), more XC at the moment.

Any advise on getting started gratefully received.

Cheers,

Jamie

Comments

• Just ride anywhere off road. Trail Centers aren't everything. The only thing you'll struggle with at trail centers are the jumps ect (which will be clearly marked at the good ones). There's always away around if you're not confident enough or you feel your bike'll break.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Only know Aston, but apart from a rather boring XC loop, and a quite fun red bit, the rest is quite steep and deadly when wet.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • flappy8
    flappy8 Posts: 172
    I'd go to Aspley Woods @ Woburn. There's nice singletrack, there some good hills (up and down) and its a nice place.
    Cooldad's correct about Aston - great if you are a downhiller with full body armour......
    If you are in that area though, check out some of the routes on the Bucks MTB website www.bucksmtb.co.uk
    MTB or Road - They are both good!
  • Hi, Try looking at Hicks Lodge for some easy Green and Blue trails to get you in to it. Link here:
    http://www.purplemountain.co.uk/hicks-lodge/

Bob
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Hi, Try looking at Hicks Lodge for some easy Green and Blue trails to get you in to it. Link here:
    http://www.purplemountain.co.uk/hicks-lodge/

Bob
    Not exactly local to Luton though. Might as well go to S Wales.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I could show you around Woburn - loads there but you need to know where it is.

Alternatively I ride with a club on Sunday (we have slow / medium / fast groups). You are welcome to join us one weekend and see some of the trails that way.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • gregwari
    gregwari Posts: 230
    Hey dude

I live in Tring (not that far away). Personally, if you don't want to go too far have a look at Bucks MBT website for local rides around Ashridge and Dunstable Downs. I'd avoid Aston Hill as a trail centre, although the xc loop does make for a good detour if you're up for riding on bridleways through the Chilterns and around Wendover woods. If you fancy heading off in the car, try Swinley Forest which is just off the M3 (not a trail centre but loads of purpose built trails in the woods, send me your email address and I'll forward you on a map with the good bits on - gregwari@live.co.uk)... Swinleys my number 1 choice for local riding. Woburns quite good in winter as it's sandy and drains well but I (personally) find it a little slow in the drier months.
    Worth a comment that "What Mountain Bike" and "Mountain Biking" magazines both have trail routes in the Chilterns this month - worth a visit to the local paper shop.
    Failing that, the best trail centre within a few hours is probably Cannock Chase but bank on a 2 hour drive and the M6 toll.
    Cheers
  • RyanMK43
    RyanMK43 Posts: 113
    woburn is quite good i ride up there a fair bit, its got all sorts there from short downhill runs, to the jumps, single tracks, a bit of everything really. theres quite abit if you head up to the church at aspley heath MK17 8DJ take a right at the church and just go exploring really. theres tracks all over the place but as nonnac85 said you kind of need to know where they are or where to look. just bike around the place and you will just see the start of them. i have also noticed a few more tracks popping up recently :D
  • When I first started riding and lived in Luton, I use to go out in dunstable downs, or round the back of Stopsley, there is plenty of riding round back of Luton.

I now live in Berkhamsted and Id suggest heading out by Dunstable downs and as your fitness improves you can start to ride out towards Ashridge, Wendover, Chilterns all of which are good fun and some nice riding.

As others say, Aston is more Downhill based and deadly when wet, Woburn is great fun but helps to have some local knowledge to find best bits and Chicksands is more free riding...

enjoy your riding and keep your bike safe, had 2 nicked when living in Luton! :evil:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you're up for a little drive, probably the best options are Swinley, Cannock or hop over to Wales (I highly recommend Afan, Cwmcarn and CYB).

Aside from the trail centres, look for local riding, woods, natural trails. Not sure what options there are round there.

If you're ever south of London, aside from Swinley, check of Surrey Hills also.