Garmin Edge 705 gpx files---can`t find them

JamesB
JamesB Posts: 1,184
GPX files HELP NEEDED !!

I have . exactly as per Edge manual instructions, created a gpx file from a route source (Map my ride) and copied it to the gpx folder on the Edge 705

Then with device removed from computer I have gone to `saved rides` to select the gpx file to navigate it--as per 705 instructions manual. The 705 then says `no saved rides` :(:( ; the gpx file is in the gpx folder so how do i navigate a saved gpx ride ??

thanks for advice :)

Comments

• Try in Training then courses folder
  • oxoneil
    oxoneil Posts: 147
    Don't you use Garmin Connect? If not then I think you should. It lets you create a course or import a gpx file which you can then send straight to device. Easy.

http://connect.garmin.com/

Edit: There's a manual upload function which you use to upload gpx files which creates an activity for you from which you create your course.
  • JamesB
    Don't you use Garmin Connect? If not then I think you should. It lets you create a course or import a gpx file which you can then send straight to device. Easy.

Yes I`ve been using Garmin Connect to upload my activities but have now just tried to create courses---works fine thanks :) but comes over as a .tcx file.

However if using Anquet maps I create a route this DOES appear as a .gpx file :) which can be opened in Garmin / GPX / current and presumably will give navigation prompts ; if I`m correct a .tcx doesn`t give nav prompts?

Maybe I`m just better sticking with .tcx files and not bothering with .gpx ? ?
  • oxoneil
    oxoneil Posts: 147
    Ah right you know more about those files than I do then by the sound of it (seriously I'm not being sarcy), must admit I've never really thought what the difference between them is.
  • JamesB
    Ah right you know more about those files than I do then by the sound of it

No don`t think so ! I`m just blundering around in a techy world I only partially understand :(

From what i`ve learnt / read Edge 705 is a bit of a beast anyway to master and is not very inutitive. I used a set of .tcx files in summer in the Alps and they gave a sort of navigational prompt but not at the level that a gpx file gave when I once managed to get the 705 to accept it and read it (derived from Anquet maps)

BUT I`ve also come really really unstuck when trying to use teh 705 to navigate OFF road with just an Europe road sd card in it-ended up with a whole mass of dead end route options :( --worked fien ON road when route `locked` to roads but then off road .........
  • Bear in mind also that there are different versions of gpx files. Schema 1.0 and schema 1.1. Different mapping programmes produce one or other. Garmins need 1.0. Mine at least, can't see 1.1 versions. I can't recall what mapmyride produces, but it's worth checking.

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • JamesB
    Thanks, I`ve tried checking MMR formats but most of the links end up on MMR communities which seem locked to non-subscribers....so I don`t know what schema is being used

HOWEVER several of teh links I found on web search also show issues with gpx directly onto Garmin 705; suggestions eg of sending MMR data to Garmin Basecamp and then to Edge 705.....getting complicated :(

UPDATE---have just loaded up Garmin basecamp; transferred MMR .tcx file to Basecamp and then downloaded it to 705
    where it now appears as a a .gpx file under saved rides :? :? and seems to be a fully prompted navigational route
    The original MMR fiel when downloaded to 705 appeared as a .tcx in courses folder.
    Am I confused or what now ??

So is it correct that if I always import a MMR .tcx file to Basecamp that can then be exported directly to 705 and appears as a .gpx file under saved rides ? :roll: