Average speed

5pudgun
5pudgun Posts: 402
edited November 2011 in Road beginners
Hi, what would be considered a decent average speed for mixed riding. Thinking of going down the local club, but way past my prime, and would hate to embarrass myself

Comments

• ah the eternal question, its a how long is a piece of string question; clubs normally have different groups who ride at all ride at a different pace, they vary route from week to week so averages go up and down. More importantly there will more than likely be a group that will ride at the pace at slowest rider, heres info from 2 clubs near me:

What you need to join
    All you need to join Liverpool Mercury (Dolan) is enthusiasm, lots of energy and a road worthy bike – road, mountain or hybrid will do.
    Whether you are a novice or an avid cyclist, man or woman, everyone will be more than welcome to join us on our cycling rides and activities.
    We pride ourselves at cycling at the pace of slowest rider – we never leave a cyclist behind.

and

Race Group averaging 18-20 mph
    A Group averaging 16-18 mph
    B Group averaging 15 – 17 mph
    C Group averaging 14-16 mph

If you're asking a question about needing a push to join a club then I reckon thats what you want to do- go on, have a go, enjoy it.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    Come down to the North Cheshire Clarion club on a saturday morning ( The Swan Winwick village ). They are a friendly bunch and you will not be left behind, they have members from st. helens and also b/wood. I have been going now for about a month, and riding in a group has brought me massively along and also added a couple of mph to my average. I was sitting at 14 - 15 riding on my own before i joined them and it is the best move i have made. Do not be intimidated by the thought of joining a road club go along and have fun!
  • I asked this very same question to my local club and got a similar answer to what 'cleat eastwood' said.

Don't get hung up over average speeds as there are too many variables. I started clocking my average speeds on the daily 12 mile commute and it's varied from 10mph to 19mph, on the same day.

Lowest was into a strong headwind all the way. Quickest was with a tailwind. Figures really, but it doesn't bother me now. I just ride according to the conditions and how I'm feeling.

Figure that riding in a group is going to be easier and most clubs (that I've looked at) cater for the slowest rider.
    I haven't been on a club run yet (waiting to get a road bike), but am a bit nervous that I'll hold them back and feel an idiot. Think this is a natural feeling though and I'm sure it'll be a great experience and opportunity to make new friends with similar interest.

I say GO FOR IT...you'll regret it if you don't try it :wink:

I'm 46 btw and not at my peak :wink:
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    The fear of making a fool of yourself strikes everyone when joing a club. However, most clubs have groups running at varying speeds and it is fairly straightforward to find out which one you are most comfortable with. All the groups I have ridden with have been friendly and helpful even the ones who have blown me out the back so dont worry and just get struck in. You will enjoy the experience.

D :D