Biking parts of the Grand Tours

antarcticgirl
antarcticgirl Posts: 2
edited November 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

My partner and I, road cyclists, are planning a trip to Europe middle of 2013 and want to ride some of the hill climbs of the tour routes. Perhaps 2 weeks in Spain, two weeks in France, and other two weeks in Italy. We want to do it by ourselves, perhaps will hire a car, and set ourselves up for a week or two in one place, to base ourselves, where we can ride some of the tour climbs. We are thinking that we might like to catch a couple of stages of one of the Grand Tours also.

Just getting into the initial research - does anyone have suggestions on how we do this - best areas to base ourselves to get some climbing done? - are we better to hire a vehicle?, or get a eurorail pass? - take our own bikes, or hire bikes? I'm a geologist and would be keen to climb up Etna too (like the Giro this year)..

Heaps of questions - i'm very keen to hear from anyone whose done a similar trip.

Thanks in advance :D
Cheers
Tanya

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I'd concentrate on one country or two - you could spend a lot of time and energy getting between them. If you do want to travel between Spain and Italy then ferries might well be a more practical alternatve.