Exmoor Beauty 2012

gazwagon
gazwagon Posts: 12
Anyone riding the Exmoor Beauty in April 2012. It's run by the people who organise the Exmoor Beast, do they put on a good event ?

What do you think of the route ?

Comments

• vs
    vs Posts: 468
    Just 27 quid for 65 miles - less than 50p a mile - should sell out then.
  • gazwagon
    gazwagon Posts: 12
    edited November 2011
    Is your comment meant to be constructive or sarcastic ? I'm a relative beginner on the road scene and have only taken part in one other sportive which was mainly on the Somerset levels, I was just posting to gather opinion on an event.
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    I'm gonna say... sarcastic.
    Never ridden the Beast but have done Tour of Exmoor, lots of climbing obviously but with the benefit of good descents.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I think the latter :)

If you are looking for a nice ride early in the year down that way then I recommend the Exmoor Spring audax that Pam runs from Minehead in April. Always a big turn out, lovely route (although the road surface from Dulverton back is dreadful) and a mountain of jam and cream scones at the end...all for about £4.
  • Cheers, thanks for the sensible replies :) Don't think the audax date has been posted yet but will keep checking the Minehead CC site.
  • Just 27 quid for 65 miles - less than 50p a mile - should sell out then.

VS : Fair comment but you clearly have no idea how much a sportive costs to organise correctly. The audax rides are completely different to the Sportive rides, its not cost per mile its, safety, feed stations, recovery and professional organisation. £25,000 worth!!!!

Come an try it !

But any ride on Exmoor is a good one
  • I think VS doesn't do sportives :)
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    vs wrote:

It doesn't work like that. My Avalon Sunrise 400km audax is £12 or about 5p a mile

There is a coffee/cake stop in the middle of the night and proper food at the finish included. And camping. I don't think sportives do that.

But despite it's obvious charms I am not expecting it to sell out! There just aren't that many people who want to ride 400km!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    For those interested, the date for the Exmoor Spring audax out of Minehead has been confirmed as 1st April (yes, really!) in 2012 so it would be a perfect warm up for the Beauty, which is on the 22nd. Not sure of the exact route yet for the Spring (last year it started out of Porlock as a one off) and it isn't on the audax calendar but I suspect it will be soon.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    For those interested, the date for the Exmoor Spring audax out of Minehead has been confirmed as 1st April (yes, really!) in 2012 so it would be a perfect warm up for the Beauty, which is on the 22nd. Not sure of the exact route yet for the Spring (last year it started out of Porlock as a one off) and it isn't on the audax calendar but I suspect it will be soon.

The event is in the AUK planner for the 1st of April but not published ATM:
    100km cycling event starting from Porlock. Route subject to change because of bridge repairs.
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    vorsprung wrote:
    vs wrote:

It doesn't work like that. My Avalon Sunrise 400km audax is £12 or about 5p a mile

There is a coffee/cake stop in the middle of the night and proper food at the finish included. And camping. I don't think sportives do that.

But despite it's obvious charms I am not expecting it to sell out! There just aren't that many people who want to ride 400km!

I think you may have missed the attempted irony of my post. I have ridden about 70 sportives since 2006 but I think I'll pass on 27 quid for 65 miles.

I have ridden all 5 'Beasts' and MIG's event management is excellent. I just wonder where the 100 mile option of the Exmoor Beauty is for 'my' £27?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    MIG Rider wrote:

VS : Fair comment but you clearly have no idea how much a sportive costs to organise correctly. The audax rides are completely different to the Sportive rides, its not cost per mile its, safety, feed stations, recovery and professional organisation. £25,000 worth!!!!

Come an try it !

But any ride on Exmoor is a good one

25K's worth? Are you sure?

viewtopic.php?f=40007&t=12809271&start=20