General rule re x bike frame size.

PostieJohn
PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
edited November 2011 in Road beginners
I'm a pretty bog standard 6 foot tall, with a 32 inch, inside leg measurement.
This puts me comfortably in the 57, 58, 59 cms frame size for road bikes.

But what ball park am I in for a Cyclo-Cross bike/frame?.

Comments

• It all depends on the make of the frame and your body proportions
    I would suggest going for a bike with a slightly shorter top tub than your road bike.
    the head tube will be lots shorter on the CX frame as the higher fork brings the front end up a fair bit, also they offten have a longer seat tub to make more room when shouldering the bike
  • PostieJohn
    Thanks, I'm not really looking to race, though, I'm just after it to ride to work.

Sadly my winter 'hack' turned out to be a bit good, (see signature), so I won't be leaving it there.

The bike I currently ride will have to be returned to it's owner, soon.
    I'm just looking to pick up a bargain basement ride from ebay, hence being keen to get a fit 'in the right ball park'..
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    CX bikes tend to run 'higher' than a road bike because of the longer fork and slightly higher BB - it's also better to have slightly more standover in case you need to put a foot-down on uneven surfaces. Likewise, a slightly shorter toptube and a lesser handlebar drop gives better control, as well as the ability to push the weight back to get more traction on the back wheel when it gets slippy. Obviously, if you're using the bike for more on-road use, then just try and repilicate your road position.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • PostieJohn
    While looking on ebay, I've been struck by the quantity of 'smaller' bikes.
    They mainly seem to range from 47-54cm frame.

As I'm a fairly average size, I would have thought I would be amply catered for, hence the question.

Should I still be looking for 57-59cm framed bikes or drop down to say 54-56cm?

(sorry Pete & Dog, if I'm being a bit thick, it's not intentional, it just happens some times)
  • Its hard to just "your a size 58"
    I'm 5'10" and ride a size 56cm forme hiver cross bike,it fits perfectly, i rode a friends 54cm kinesis crosslight the other day and found it to big.
    What im saying is that there is so much decrepancy between manufactures you cant just say what size you are
  • PostieJohn
    Blimey, to big @ 54 cms.
    I'm rapidly going off the idea of 'just picking anything off ebay'.
  • Just look at what the horizontal top tube on the road bike that fits you the best then get a cross bike with the same or slightly shorter.
    Its not really as confusing as i've been making it :)
    One thing to look out for is that you can put a bottle cage on it as proper race bikes wont have the mounts
    oh also I can highly recommend the forme frames.....you would want a 58cm one ;)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/forme-hiver-k ... _500wt_949