Front lights

13»

Comments

• Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Bought two Cree X5's last year. Great lights but one developed a problem with the rear switch. Telltale signs being the light switching through it's five modes every time you get a bit of vibration on the road, causing you to constantly battle with the button to get back to the setting you were on (Jumping to flash, low or SOS on a pitch black road is a recipe for disaster). Hard to say if it's a common fault with these type of things (heard a few people mention it), but it does represent a 50% fail rate. The other one still works fine though and is the one i currently use for commuting.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Tighten up the switch module in the end cap, that will probably fix it, otherwise a wrap of tape around the battery to stop it wobbling inside the torch.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Well, i've always used the tape wrap trick (first thing i though of) but can't really see how to tighten the switch module?
  • All these anecdotes about unreliability, failures, bodging with tape etc, is making me happier that I went for the "zero worry" buy-it-once option of an Exposure light.

No criticism of buyers of the Hong Kong stuff, I'm seriously tempted to get a back up head torch but reading about some of the lack-of-quality issues, I'm not really sure.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Ouija: Remove the end cap (as if you were taking the battery out), look inside the cap, there may (if it's like mine) be two notches on the chunk of metal underneath the spring. They'll allow you, with a suitable tool, to get a grip on it and tighten it up. The same goes for the 'head' end, just make sure everything's tight.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I have finally spent a little bit of money and got the following light:

CREE Q5 LED Flashlight Bicycle bike Head Light + 360 Degree Holder

While not brilliant it does enough for me if used in conjunction with my existing light.

Thanks for all your help with this post.
  • tony m
    tony m Posts: 53
    no probs as you say they may not be brilliant but are a great back up light,am glad i was able to help.....