Knee Pain

alamb200
alamb200 Posts: 74
edited December 2011 in Health, fitness & training
Hi,

I am not sure if thsi should be in here or the commute area.

Basically I ride my bike to work three days a week a distance of 10.5 miles each way and on the other two days I go for a short run over my dinner hour.

The problem I am having is after the cycling my knees (particuarly my right knee) aches almost to the point of pain killers. I have torn the cartlidge on my right knee in the past but it was operated on and given the all clear so I do not think that is the problem.

Can anyone advise me on what could be causing this?

Thanks,

alamb200

Comments

• couple of thoughts, It could be you it band that is causing pulling your knee out of aliment and therefore pain.
    If this is the case you need to stretch and speak to a sports massage therapist.

Another cause could be if you are using clip in pedals and the cleats are set to an incorrect angle for you.
  • I had a similar problem when using the rowing machine at the gym and discovered that it was because my feet point out rather a lot. That combined with them being strapped down caused me huge amounts of pain. The simplest test is to lie on your back and look at your feet, they should point straight up (mine were off by 45degrees). Its something to do with muscle alignment. But to fix it its either strap it up tight or practice standing, lying and walking with your feet pointing straight ahead.
    Hope this helps
    one by one my penguins will steal your sanity
  • I'd suggest you try a physio. I've got a knee problem which I managed to self diagnose off the internet as patello femoral pain (less poshly known as runner's knee or cinema goers knee). I'd got to the stage where I couldn't cycle, run and struggled to walk up or down stairs. It was also painful to sit in the same position for a long time which made driving difficult. I stopped cycling and running and did all the recommended exercises off the internet to sort it out but still couldn't get rid of it.

Went to a physio, first thing she did was diagnose the same as me and taught me to pronounce it properly! She then showed me how to do the exercises I had been doing properly and introduced some more. The problem was that the cycling had over developed the outside muscles on my thigh but ones on the inside on one leg were triggering meaning the kneecap was misaligned. Two weeks later I haven't got any pain and back on cycling in the gym and should be back on the road/trail soon.