Insurance Help - doing my head in!!!

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited November 2011 in The bottom bracket
Wonder if anyone can help.

Im looking for House Contents only insurance, I dont want accidental damage necessariliy at all, but I want it to cover my 4 bikes BUT only when they're in the home, in case it burns down or gets broken in to.

The bikes are worth approx £3,500 ..£2,500... £2,500 and £1,400

Im having trouble on a few things... first of all, one of the bikes at £2,500 is a Time Trial bike and some companies wont touch it! Dont know why, its only cover for in the home so cant see what difference that makes!

Also, Ive heard people mention M&S but they wont quote cos of the postcode, there were some claims in the area years back when a blocked brook flooded. But thats had £5million spent on it so it wont again, aaaand, even though properties were in the postcode there's no way even that water could have got anywhere near my house! There would have to be an apocolypse.

Any pointers??? Cheap as possible obviously. Only want it it in the home... OR.... anywhere cheap I can insure the bikes separately. I expected to be able to insure all this for £200 odd really! Insurance 2 years ago was £90!

Help appreciated

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Shouldn't be any problem I wouldnt have thought.

They're not under my companies definition of 'valuables' so they aren't subject to a single article limit. As long as they're included in your total sum insuredthey'd be covered. Give Aviva direct a call. I work on the broker side of things but I'm pretty sure the wordings are similar if not the same.

If you want to PM me your postcode I can check the flood map for you. Don't give me the house number obvs, I'll come round and nick your bikes, and they're not insured ;-)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • mfin
    Thanks for reply.... Ive been talking to 3 companies, local broker and the price comparison things, got it in the end through AXA
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Grrr :lol:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • mfin wrote:
    Thanks for reply.... Ive been talking to 3 companies, local broker and the price comparison things, got it in the end through AXA

Ironically AXA underwrite the M&S home contents insurance policy and they wouldn't quote for your postcode :roll:
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • mfin
    Yeah, i spotted that. Lady at M&S said that next month they're changing how they do the postcode bit and going on a more house by house basis.... dont know if thats true, as she was only a 'Rosemary the Telephone Operator', I couldnt wait though, gotta be insured.