Garmin Forerunner 305 Bike Clip

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
Anybody else use a Forerunner 305 with the bike clip? The Garmin is great and does everything I need but the clip is unreliable. I lost my second Garmin in a year last night in the dark. I found it this morning (remarkable since it's an 18-mile route) and fortunately it's still functioning though scuffed. I found my previous one too but only after it had been run over....

It's fallen off a couple of times between times but I've seen it go.

Basically just a heads-up if you use one of these to take care.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• jefflad
    jefflad Posts: 315
    I've got 1 on 2 bikes and haven't had a problem... Got me worried now though :-)
  • Garmin 705 popped off and got run over by a car and smashed due to faulty clip.

Out of waranty but sent it to Garmin anyway as was so pissed off. Quick look around the net shows this is nothing new, and the 805 has a new mounting mechanism, presumably because they acknowledge the problem.

Anyway - few weeks, and no reply from garmin. IF you buy one - make sure you use additional stuff to strap it down, tape, zip ties, whatever - because their clips aint good enough! Raging. It's too much money to have this great little unit held on by crap...
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • jefflad wrote:
    I've got 1 on 2 bikes and haven't had a problem... Got me worried now though :-)

It takes quite a jolt for it to pop off - but pop off it does. It's now happened on all 3 bikes I use it on (3 different clips) and 2 different Garmins. After the running-over incident, I'm now very careful to be sure I've clipped it on properly. I think I prefer the 400-series solution of a mount that the normal wrist-strap wraps around.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    I use the piece of rubber that wraps around the bar and you strap the watch too.

I'm guessing you use something else, as I've never had a problem with that mechanism.

Cheers,
    FJ
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    This is the one I use

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Bike-Mount-Forerunner-405/dp/B000VK5BMQ/ref=pd_cp_computers_3

I just don't use the provided zip ties and use the watch strap to secure it to the handlebars.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • jefflad wrote:

Yup - that's the one designed for the 305 & which I use. The other is the 405-type which is a better concept.
  • It takes quite a jolt for it to pop off - but pop off it does. It's now happened on all 3 bikes I use it on (3 different clips) and 2 different Garmins. After the running-over incident, I'm now very careful to be sure I've clipped it on properly. .

So is it a design fault that has made if fall off all three bikes, or that fact that you wasn't clipping it in properly?

I've got mounts on all my bikes, never had one fall off (even on the mountain bike) and I've owned my 605 since they first came out....not sure how long that is.
  • It takes quite a jolt for it to pop off - but pop off it does. It's now happened on all 3 bikes I use it on (3 different clips) and 2 different Garmins. After the running-over incident, I'm now very careful to be sure I've clipped it on properly. .

So is it a design fault that has made if fall off all three bikes, or that fact that you wasn't clipping it in properly?

I've got mounts on all my bikes, never had one fall off (even on the mountain bike) and I've owned my 605 since they first came out....not sure how long that is.

Well - since I had the first one run over, I'm particularly careful how I clip it on so I can be pretty certain it's clipped on properly. The 605 is entirely different from the Forerunner 305 so I'm not sure what relevance that has. That they've entirely changed the mounting system for the Forerunner 405, 410, 50 etc might well point to the fact that the mount for the Forerunner 305 wasn't quite hitting the spot...
  • Well - since I had the first one run over, I'm particularly careful how I clip it on so I can be pretty certain it's clipped on properly. The 605 is entirely different from the Forerunner 305 so I'm not sure what relevance that has. That they've entirely changed the mounting system for the Forerunner 405, 410, 50 etc might well point to the fact that the mount for the Forerunner 305 wasn't quite hitting the spot...

My apologies, didn't read properly...305. I have a 205 that I use for running, I didn't even know they made a bike clip for it. I think I would just use a watch mount to fix it to the bike if I used it, something like Polar make. I use the 205 for kayaking too, but leave it on my wrist.

Oh 1000 posts...

Happy 1000 posts to me,
    Happy 1000 posts to me,
    Happy 1000 posts to meee-eeee,
    Happy 1000 posts to me.
  • No worries. The 305 clip requires you to dump the wrist strap and you clip the body of the watch across the two strap pins. It's fine whilst it works - it's quick release - just a bit too easy though. The 405 mount is basically a watch mount. With a velcro strap on the 305, I think it would be the best option. Really only posting to warn other users.