What's your latest commute

jefflad
jefflad Posts: 315
edited November 2011 in Commuting general
It's been mentioned I may need to cover some shifts due to long term sick. As I normally work 8-4 I'd be changing to 1400-2200. My concern is I wish to continue cycling while possible but I don't like the idea of cycling that late at night.

I know it sounds silly and was wondering how late some of you commute.

Comments

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    What is it about cycling that late at night that you don't like the idea of? I work 0830-2030 and regularly commute home after 9pm through town with no problems. If anything I find that cycling at night is a lot safer - far less traffic on the roads.

Is it a rural commute?
    FCN 2 to 8
  • jefflad
    I don't know maybe just a mind thing... My route is semi-rural but at this time of year it'll be dark from 1600 anyway it just seems a tad late that's all. If I have to do it I think I'll give it a go and see.
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    All I would say from working a 2-10 shift myself in the past is people arn't expecting to see a bike on the road around 11pm so make sure you make yourself visible and it screams bike so you get the extra room.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • 0scar
    0scar Posts: 219
    When I've worked in bars I've commuted home from south east to east London at 1am, and from central Leeds to Otley at 3am, both around 10km. Late night in London isn't too different to riding in the daytime but late-night drivers in Leeds definitely weren't expecting a bike. I'd recommend a hi viz and *flashing* lights, because a small light close up can seem like a random light further away if the driver isn't paying attention.

And, in winter, a thick layer of vaseline on your lips and some clear glasses, and a cycling cap if it's raining - just makes the whole experience a bit more bearable!
    Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
    Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)
  • jefflad
    I've gave up wearing glasses since its got cold as they keep misting up, maybe I should look for a new pair. Vaz on my lips, never thought of that, so thanks.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    I work 3 shifts 06:30- 14:30 , 14:30-22:30 and 23:00-07:30 .

On late shifts you do get given more space by your 'normal' motorist but there are nutters around, the drunk, the drugged, drivers that run red lights, speed and drive reckless.

My commute is 6 miles, at times I have used the pavement, I have 3 good rear lights and 2 decent front ones.

I also live in a high crime area, 2 cyclists were recently stopped at knife point and had their bikes and valuables removed, so you have to keep your wits about you.

Will all of the above stop me , no, it won't.

Cycling is still safer than using public transport in my area, you might consider having an innocent 'weapon' handy, also an attack alarm ..... but that all depends on the area where you live.
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • I commute home at 10pm or so, though Bushy park. hardly rough areas. so never had a issue.
  • jefflad
    AndyManc wrote:
    I work 3 shifts 06:30- 14:30 , 14:30-22:30 and 23:00-07:30 .

On late shifts you do get given more space by your 'normal' motorist but there are nutters around, the drunk, the drugged, drivers that run red lights, speed and drive reckless.

My commute is 6 miles, at times I have used the pavement, I have 3 good rear lights and 2 decent front ones.

I also live in a high crime area, 2 cyclists were recently stopped at knife point and had their bikes and valuables removed, so you have to keep your wits about you.

Will all of the above stop me , no, it won't.

Cycling is still safer than using public transport in my area, you might consider having an innocent 'weapon' handy, also an attack alarm ..... but that all depends on the area where you live.

Yeah that probably sums up my apprehension... just need to think of an innocent weapon :twisted:
  • I have regularly commuted after 22:00 with no problems, and even had a spell of commuting home 3 times a week after midnight.
    There is a lot less traffic on the road and even fewer cyclists.
    My top tips would be to ensure you have lights and reflectives that clearly indicate you are a bicycle (solid and blinking red at rear, same at front and reflective clothing)
    I'd also recommend carrying spares to get you home should the worst happen, inner tube and chain links + multi tool and pump as a minimum.
    It can be considerably colder at night even in the summer so make sure you get layered up and +1 for the vas on your lips tip.

Apart from one encounter with a couple of p###ed up chavs a few years back I always enjoyed the night commute . It can be very serene and you get to see quite a bit of stuff you wouldn't normally see - foxes, badgers, doggers, your neighbours wife with another bloke in a car on the local industrial estate (it's alright Karen, I still havn't told him :mrgreen: )

just remember to have the silver bullets, crucifixes, and wooden stakes to hand for when it gets a bit weird, and enjoy
    FCN = 9 (Tourer) 8 (Mountain Bike)
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Depending on where you live it can be safer , my commute is through villages and unlit country lanes and i find it a lot safer as there is less traffic about and the cars that are around give you more space, this might be due to by mobile xmas tree look or good road positioning but i would rather ride home at 3am than the odd time when my finish time co insides with the rush hours as that is no fun at all dodging half asleep zombies who are driving on automatic pilot.

My normal shifts are 7-4 days and 8-5 ( 6 - 3 on fri ) nights although you can add up to 2 hours on each shift if extra production is needed.
    FCN 3/5/9