Notable pro cyclists

Houllier
Houllier Posts: 1,253
edited November 2011 in The bottom bracket
Hello everyone - I need your help completing a project, in which i am categorising notable cyclists. I'm getting a bit stuck, and need your inspiration. Help me out and I'll share the results of the whole shebang when I'm finished.

So - I need to you tell me some names of cyclists, male or female, of any discipline (road,track, cyclocross, MTB), who stand out in the following categories (bonus points if accompanied by an illustrative story for entertainment purposes):

Playboys
Descenders (inc downhill MTB)
Cheats
Domestiques
Nearly Men
Great comebacks

Thank you all in advance!

N
---\*/
----?
----/>\'
--(+)(+)
You\'ll never ride alone

Comments

• andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Ok, real quickies :
    Playboys : Jacque Anquetil, Mario Cipollini
    Descenders (inc downhill MTB) : Sean Yates, Vicenzo Nibali, Danny Hart (YouTube 2011 sensational ride)
    Cheats : ha, lots here, few random names - Di Luca, Basso, Millar, Landis,
    Domestiques : Yates, Hincapie
    Nearly Men : David Millar, Poulidor
    Great comebacks : Armstrong, David Millar, LeMond
  • Houllier
    Thank you...

Should have said, by cheats I don't just mean the dopers (how long have you got?) but also the comedy early TdF 'cath the train / drop tacks / use a looky-likey Wacky Races type cheats

Great start

N
    ---\*/
    ----?
    ----/>\'
    --(+)(+)
    You\'ll never ride alone
  • If you're talking about MTB Downhill riders it's hard to go past Steve Peat, been at the top of the game for years and still going strong! He has won pretty much everything in his career.
    Custom spec Scott Scale
    Custom spec Salsa Fargo
    Custom spec Scott CR1
    Scott Speedster S1
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Playboy - not sure if it counts but Cavendish got a glamour model (granted his gf) pregnant during the Tour.
    Cheats - Sad case though it is, Hamilton was constantly getting caught - blaming stuff on fake identical twins etc.
    Domestique? - Andrea Carrea (for Coppi). off wikipedia:
    Andrea Carrea was a domestique for Fausto Coppi. "He was a gregario par excellence", said the journalist Jean-Luc Gatellier, "the incarnation of personal disinterest... showing to perfection the notion of personal sacrifice. He refused the slightest bit of personal glory."[8] Carrea was riding the Tour de France of 1952 and joined an attack to Lausanne to protect his leader's interests.
    Carrea said: "Without knowing it, I had slid into the important break of the day and at Lausanne, to my great surprise, I heard I had inherited a jersey destined for champions. For me, it was a terrible situation."[8]
    Carrea had no idea he had become race leader. When officials told him, he burst into tears. He had ousted Coppi and he dreaded the consequences.[9] He wept as he received his jersey, looking constantly down the road for the main field that included his leader.
    Jean-Paul Ollivier said: Carrea thought the sky had fallen in. How would Fausto take it? When the champion arrived a few minutes later, Carrea went towards him in tears to offer his excuses. "You must understand that I did not want this jersey, Fausto. I have no right to it. A poor man like me, the yellow jersey? [10]"
    Coppi said: "I wondered how Carrea, so shy and so emotional, was going to take it. When I went to congratulate him on the track at Lausanne, he didn't know what face he ought to adopt".[8]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Playboys - Cipollini
    Descenders (inc downhill MTB) - as above, Peaty! Athertons, Sam Hill, Fabian Barel, Nico Vouillliiiooozzz (?)
    Cheats - Armstrong
    Domestiques - Jens Voight, what was the name of that guy with Tommy V this July...?
    Nearly Men - Poulidor, either Schleck, Tyler Farrar (Discuss)
    Great comebacks - erm....give me a minite on this one...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyrr wrote:

Would also add Joop Zoetemelk to the list - although he did eventually bag one TdF and one world title, in terms of Tour podium places he was even more of an "eternal second" than Poulidor.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Don't u get a few nearly men posting in ProRace? :mrgreen:
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • ddraver wrote:
    Domestiques - Jens Voight, what was the name of that guy with Tommy V this July...?

Pierre Rolland. Potentially a serious GC contender in his own right come next year's Tour.

David
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    If you want to see good defending, you can't overlook Fabian Cancellara.

Epic one here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxXqQqAc2pA
  • Playboys - Koblet, coppi, boonen on a saturday night.
    Descenders (inc downhill MTB) - Salvoldelli- the falcon
    Cheats - Armstrong & millar (hey what a great idea for a show), BR fave Ricco.
    Domestiques - hincapie and hero rolland
    Nearly Men - the thin schlock
    Great comebacks - it's stephen roche..
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Playboys - Koblet, coppi, e..

hmm, I couldnt pin that title on Coppi altho he looked the part... .. Tom Simpson a better fit
  • Oh, and a British nomination for "great comebacks" - Tony Doyle after his crash on the track at Munich in '88. Wasn't expected to pull through full stop, let alone ride a bike again.

David
  • Houllier
    Thanks all... great suggestions.... need another playboy, I have Kubler, Cipollini, Pozzato so far

Also... who are your most notable world champions?

And who is the greatest track cylist ever (apart from Chris Hoy)?
    ---\*/
    ----?
    ----/>\'
    --(+)(+)
    You\'ll never ride alone
  • Houllier wrote:
    And who is the greatest track cylist ever (apart from Chris Hoy)?

Depends on the discipline; in six-day racing there were few riders on a par with Patrick Sercu or Peter Post.

David
  • Armstrong & millar (hey what a great idea for a show)

"S***! I forgot to put the bins out!" ;)

David
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    andyrr wrote:

Would also add Joop Zoetemelk to the list - although he did eventually bag one TdF and one world title, in terms of Tour podium places he was even more of an "eternal second" than Poulidor.

David

Go on then,how can an 'eternal second' win the TDF :roll:
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Shame on all who have posted prior to this, the post is "Notable pro cyclists" So far not a single mention of......

EDDY MERCKX. :oops: :roll:

Understandable 'cos he's not noteworthy at all.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I don't know what category he'd fall into but Eugene Christophe deserves some sort of mention for welding his bike back together during the 1913 TdF.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Shame on all who have posted prior to this, the post is "Notable pro cyclists" So far not a single mention of......

EDDY MERCKX. :oops: :roll:

Understandable 'cos he's not noteworthy at all.

Worse still, no one has mentioned Bhima!!!!
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • DesWeller wrote:
    I don't know what category he'd fall into but Eugene Christophe deserves some sort of mention for welding his bike back together during the 1913 TdF.

I think he mended his forks in a blacksmiths forge, not quite welding but a bloody valiant effort only to be slapped down an disqualified." F*ck 'em" was the headline in Le Equipe the next day.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • dbmnk
    dbmnk Posts: 217
    Houllier wrote:
    Also... who are your most notable world champions?
    Abraham Olano - epic flat tire win
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOtqNQJQcuU