First Road Bike Advise

adoh70
adoh70 Posts: 3
edited November 2011 in Road beginners
Hi

I'm about to venture into the world of road bikes and am having a little trouble trying to wade through all the jargon, options and bikes available to me. I'm looking for an entry level bike, just something to get me started for around £500-£600. I will be riding it quite a bit through the winter months due to other sporting commitments during summer.
From reading various posts on here, and speaking to friends I realise a lot of people recommend going second hand to start with. However, I'm a fickle person and like brand new sparkly things so would prefer a new bike.

Having had a look around and reading reviews on here I have two options in mind:

Scott Speedster S55 (£575)
http://www.drakescycles.co.uk/m1b66s6p2 ... S55_(_S50_)_24-sp_(_mudguard_compatible_)_2011/RS_GB/11353

Cube Aerial (£559)
http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2011

I would be extremely grateful if you could throw some help my way as to which bike is the better and/or if there are any other bikes out there that would better suit my needs.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• I have also just stumbled across this to add into the equation:

Giant Defy 1 (£550)
    http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/122560.html
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Usual advice is to ride them if poss, then buy the one that makes you grin when you look at it. There's not much in it at this price point & above, and even if there is it won't make a lot of difference to your enjoyment.

What bike should I buy? The one that I'd like to be seen on.

Ps - advise verb; advice noun. Sorry. That one gets me.
  • Go to the "bikes & Gear" section here on BR. Select "Bikes", then "Road" then type in your budget limit. It will list reviews on BR, you'll get a feel from there. But the best bike for you is the bike that fits best, feels good and you have confidence in, and meets your cycling needs/ objectives. Go to a good LBS, have a conversation with them, its a lovely process, buying a new bike from a good store. Allow a goodly extra budget to buy non-bike essentials if you dont already have them: cleats / shoes, waterproof, wicking top, padded shorts, gloves, helmet, glasses, spare innter tube, and probably lights.
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    CiB wrote:
    Usual advice is to ride them if poss, then buy the one that makes you grin when you look at it. There's not much in it at this price point & above, and even if there is it won't make a lot of difference to your enjoyment.

What bike should I buy? The one that I'd like to be seen on.

Ps - advise verb; advice noun. Sorry. That one gets me.

Good advice from CiB. I might add that it is worth looking around at this time of year for discounted machines. A lot of bike shops will be getting rid of 2011 stock ready for the next batch. Of the 3 highlighted above I would go for the Scott, simply because it has a carbon fork which helps absorb some of the road buzz.

D :D