Exposure Maxx-D Mounting to tapered handlesbars

togg
togg Posts: 80
edited November 2011 in MTB beginners
I'm trying to attach this light with the supplied bracket but my boardman pro 2011 ht has tapered handlebars and the light keeps slipping, anyone else had similar problems mounting these lights to tapered handlebars?

I can't decide where to attach the quick release bracket to avoid it slipping, and not sure which spacers to use, instructions don't really help either.

The new maxx-d light is superb, apart from this problem.

Comments

• Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Where abouts are you trying to mount the light on the bar?

Generally, most modern lights have fittings for the OS part of the bar closest to the stem, but should have fittings to allow them to fit on standard 25.4 bars as well.

My lights (not exposure though) are mounted either side of my stem.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I have tapered bars on the Minxy and have just fitted my Maxx D bracket to the bike last week. I agree in that it wasn't best fit, but I have the bracket very close to the stem and it seems to fit ok. I had to take the padding out and was expecting it to slip to be honest, but it was fine :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    I have mine fitted close to the stem too. Never had any slippage, mine came with thin adhesive rubber strips to stick on the inside of the clamp. Not the best pic below showing the mounting bracket fitted.

img1184q.jpg
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    Ditto for close to the stem. My Maxx-D doesn't move at all. I have it mounted as close to the stem as possible. There won't be any taper there.
  • I cut up an old inner tube and put that under the mounting.
    Evens everything out, the light stays in place, but can still be lowered when I get on the roads.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)