How Much Float Do I Need?

CakeLovinBeast
CakeLovinBeast Posts: 312
edited November 2011 in Road beginners
Just a quick question - I've been riding on SPD's since I got my road bike back in July - mainly because I already had them, but also because I find them easier on my commute. As I'm starting to do longer and more intensive rides, I've recently bought a pair of Look Keo Carbons (fleabay bargain), and I'll shortly be getting myself some new shoes.

So, as I'm currently using SPD's with no-float cleats, without any difficulty, is there any logical reason why I should consider buying road cleats with float? Or should I stick with what I know and just weld myself in?
Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic

Comments

• never "weld" yourself in.
    You may have been lucky with the SPD's.
    You may be lucky with the black (no float) cleats for look - and able to set them correctly - in which case great. its a case of suck it and see.

FWII I have fixed metal spds for MTB - but for the road need red (14 deg float) cleats with two shims 3mm on each foot !
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Personally , always use fixed cleats anything else just feels sloppy.
    Now there`ll be loads of people saying that i`ll ruin my knees, well been at it 20 years and no problems yet.
    There again ,i take the time to set them up properly. Thats not to say that others with issues are lazy of course. :twisted:
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Why would you be restricted and have no movement for your knees? There's no power lost in float.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I bought the first Look Pedals as used by Hinault. They had no float and I've stayed with the black cleats most of my cycling life.

The last ones I got given did have float - but they're fine too. I suspect if you have the cleats sorted out well then you dont need float, but theres no real difference power wise between the two. Not that I can tell anyway.