What Union to Join?

Gazzaputt
Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
edited November 2011 in The bottom bracket
Like to join a union but unsure what one I can.

I work in the private sector in IT so what unions are open to me?

Comments

• TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I've avoid them all.

The concept is excellent, but like most things they tend to be run for the benefit of those in charge of the union, rather than the people they're suppose to protect.

I'd prefer to see more localised 'workers councils'.
    exercise.png
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    If you like the idea of unpaid time off, try Unison.
    They seem to be quite active :twisted:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • depends on your IT role but

bectu

cwu

connect.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • TheStone wrote:
    I've avoid them all.

The concept is excellent, but like most things they tend to be run for the benefit of those in charge of the union, rather than the people they're suppose to protect.

This is why I wont join ours. I remember telling an illegal picket(er) to get the feck out of my way before I knocked him out due to him trying to intimidate me into not going into work. He moved out of the way and I went to work.
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    Like to join a union but unsure what one I can.

I work in the private sector in IT so what unions are open to me?

what sector do you do IT in Maybe Unite nee Amicus nee MSF would be Useful.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • TheStone wrote:
    I've avoid them all.

until you need to use the legal expertise when you have an accident in work then the benfits to the member really kicks in and you don't end up with scrote scrote and scrote representing you but Messrs bendem over and shaftem-hard.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    depends on your IT role but

bectu

cwu

connect.

Cheers for that.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    TheStone wrote:
    I've avoid them all.

until you need to use the legal expertise when you have an accident in work then the benfits to the member really kicks in and you don't end up with scrote scrote and scrote representing you but Messrs bendem over and shaftem-hard.

So why cant we have them without all the Look at us we re all left wing bullcrap that goes with unions! God the one at my last place was comical!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    TheStone wrote:
    I've avoid them all.

So why cant we have them without all the Look at us we re all left wing bullcrap that goes with unions! God the one at my last place was comical!

at a local level, dealing with local difficulties (I know, all very royston vasey) such as disciplinary or grievance or staff member v staff member disputes they are generally very good, it is when they get to corporate and beyond level that you get the disconnect between the members and the officials.

you have to take a wider and less Daily Mail view of them and the good work that invariably goes on at the lowest rungs of the organisation.