Llanberis path or Ranger path???

thejerv
thejerv Posts: 90
edited November 2011 in Routes
I'm staying in Llanberis for the weekend and I'm riding up Snowdon on sunday, I did it last year and descended by the Llanberis path, despite he snow it was brilliant and I managed to ride 100% of it. This time I can't decide whether to do the same or descend the Ranger path and back down the other side into Llanberis. I've walked up the ranger path before but can't remember it too well. Is it 100% rideable, or will there be carrying? I don't want the effort of riding to the top only to be dissPointed by the descent (I'm sure I wont). So what would you say is the best descent out of the two routes?
Lee

Comments

• Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Up the Llanberis and down the Rangers.

Some good HD footage of the Ranger decent here

http://video.mpora.com/watch/ZBpBXu1jn/hd/
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Only done it once, went up llanberis, down the rangers. Rangers was rideable all the way except for the really rocky section about 50yds long - cause I wasn't brave enough at the time :oops:

Was nice, but reckon back down the llanberis would be equally enjoyable. To me, rangers was more technical, switchbacks, scree sections, rock gardens ie slower, whereas I reckon llanberis would be faster and give the opportunity for a few jumps.

I want to go again now :D
  • Cheers, think I'm going to give the Ranger path a go.
  • Interesting bit on Snowdon mountain biking http://www.planetfear.com/articles/MTB_ ... _1110.html
  • DodgeT
    thejerv wrote:
    Cheers, think I'm going to give the Ranger path a go.

So, how was it?
  • DodgeT wrote:
    thejerv wrote:
    Cheers, think I'm going to give the Ranger path a go.

So, how was it?
    It was ridiculous, the wind was horrendous today, constant 30mph with gusts of 70mph+, it was hard to remain in control. The Ranger path was good but far too lose given the conditions. Once we'd decended to the lake the rest of the way back to Llanberis was sweet :)
  • DodgeT
    Seeing as you've done both routes down, which did you prefer then?
  • DodgeT wrote:
    Seeing as you've done both routes down, which did you prefer then?
    To be honest I'd probably say the Llanberis path, it just seemed to have more flow to me, as I managed to ride 100% of it. The Ranger path had me pushing for long sections, I don't think it would have been as bad if the wind wasn't so strong. I did like the descent back into Llanberis, but it would have been better if there were less people. Either way both routes put a huge grin on my face!
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    +1 for faster down Llanberis
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • DodgeT
    I'm definately thinking llanberis up and down next time.

Although I would like to have a good go at the tricky boulder section bit again now i've got a bit more riding under my belt....
  • Dan Dare
    Dan Dare Posts: 367
    There is a Snowdon route map in this months MBUK, unfortunately they have got the arrows and route numbers the wrong way around :lol:
  • Dan Dare wrote:
    There is a Snowdon route map in this months MBUK, unfortunately they have got the arrows and route numbers the wrong way around :lol:
    That's the route that I did only the right way around :)