SRAM X4 Rear Mech

danbrett
danbrett Posts: 7
edited November 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello everyone,

Winters coming, so Ive started getting back on my bike (Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 2010), and 5 mins into the ride, had to walk back. Came off the bike in some woods, nothing to major, but managed to ruin the mech hanger. No biggie, got a new one, but its still not happy. Its quite hard to explain, so here goes... It looks like the screw that pushes the mech out, doesn't stay in position, probably something to do with the the bush. Ive looked on the SRAM website, and doesn't look like its available on its own. Im also able to change up 4 gears by pushing the trigger.

Now its looking like I'm gunna need a new mech, but I cant find an X4 Mid Cage. Before I go any further, does anyone have any suggestions?

I found an X7 Mid Cage for £30, but its a 9 speed, My shifters are 8, is this going to be an issue? Or will it simply ignore the 9th?

Cheers for the help guys.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it will work fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Replaced the X4 mech on the Chucker with a short cage X7. Apart from putting air in the tyres it was possibly the easiest bit of bike maintenance I've ever done.

Unbolt the old mech, fit the new one, clamp the cable, click-shift-click-shift click-shift lurvely. Works great with an 8-speed X4 shifter.