Tunnel racing

Comments

• shame its a 100 squid to enter, but what a great idea, would have been great to hold it on the day of the santa dash- imagine 2000 santa's cheering you on.

I noticed on southport cc website that they had a club run through the tunnel on sunday, maybe you just bribe a policeman to get through.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    I believe the tunnel is open to cyclists every Sunday - i'm the other side of the Wirral but never ridden through it until the Liverpool-Chester-Liverpool ride this year. 40mph on the bike with not too much effort!!
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    "No wind resistance"?

Are they planning to hook up a huge vacuum pump and suck out all the air? Perhaps thats what they mean by "eyeballs-out" racing. :shock:
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    LangerDan wrote:
    "No wind resistance"?

Are they planning to hook up a huge vacuum pump and suck out all the air? Perhaps thats what they mean by "eyeballs-out" racing. :shock:

I think your eyeballs will already be out if you'd seen the entry fee - £100. Not bad for 10 mins of riding i guess!! :idea:
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    God damn it, wrong forum again.

In my book, 10 minutes is way not enough :wink:

Love n disappointed hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    But look at the prize winnings!

To be fair, 100 riders @ £100 each should be achievable - it'll just bring the big names i think. Especially with a 1st prize worth about £3.4k.

The vita team jerseys are quite nice too!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Only problem (as I see it) is there aren't 100 people in the UK who think (realistically) they can win it. Maybe 10?

So I suspect the entry fee will be a stumbling block for many people. Then again, the less entries, the better your odds of winning it!
  • the mersey tunnels down and up shaped though, the steeper bit being the part into loverpool, as wirral paul said you can get up to 40mph and free wheel the best part of the 'steep' bits. be intersteing to see the responses to it.

Also where can I see the vita team jerseys. I like a good jersey me.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I doubt the winner needs a new frame and jersey as well as the cash ?

I'm not entering as its a waste of money for me.

Did they give out a list of who won what at their sportif raffle ever ? There were some nice prizes there that persuaded me to enter but I heard no more.
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    Some pro will win it.
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    If i was a touch fiiter i would have a piece of this. You will be able to free wheel half distance but as previous mentioned it will be won on the uphill half.

Good event though by the sounds of it, there will be some serious speeds being racked up on the downhill sections
  • Pokerface
    If it was £20 just to ride (but not be eligible for the winning prize), I'd do it. Just to see what all the fuss is about.

I'd go as far as £25 if some went to charity.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Pokerface - you can do the Liverpool to Chester Bike ride and get to ride through the tunnel. Its sometime in July.
    And thats for charity!
  • shame its a 100 squid to enter, but what a great idea, would have been great to hold it on the day of the santa dash- imagine 2000 santa's cheering you on.

I noticed on southport cc website that they had a club run through the tunnel on sunday, maybe you just bribe a policeman to get through.
    haha no we didnt bribe anyone to go through the tunnel :P
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Pokerface
    cougie wrote:
    Pokerface - you can do the Liverpool to Chester Bike ride and get to ride through the tunnel. Its sometime in July.
    And thats for charity!

It was more the thought of doing it on my TT bike at speed (without loads of other riders around) that appealed to me. Not merely riding a bike through a tunnel!
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Dunno if anyone is interested, but entries are now £25 each. Think there's still a handful of spaces left.
  • I reckon this could be a ploy to feed Gumtree with a fleet of "Cheap top end bikes" and fleece the previous owners for the pleasure of delivering them to their "new" owners.

*smirk*
  • The price has gone down to £25 entry fee :D so well worth a go!! At the very least I can get my boy's sky team shirt signed by Alex Dowsett as he's one of the big names giving it a go.
    "Cycling isn't a game, it's a sport. Tough, hard and unpitying, and it requires great sacrifices.
    One plays football, or tennis, or hockey. One doesn't play at Cycling."