Carrying Stuff

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited November 2011 in Road beginners
I sometimes cycle to see friends and if I'm staying overnight take a change of clothes, bottle of wine etc., in a small rucksack. I'm aware that this isn't ideal though and it does make a difference to the stability of the ride. Can anyone recommend a good set of panniers (I assume I'll need a pair for balance). Thanks.
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If its just occasionally and just a small amount of kit I'd stick with the rucksack ? Failing that what about a courier bag ? They ride all day with kit ?

I'd not put panniers on for just the odd occasion.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Another option is a saddlebag. I use a carradice bagman support with Super C saddlebag for my commute. Fits basic fettling kit, change of clothers, shower stuff etc.

Pretty bulky (it carries 23L) but still sleeker than panniers imo. Plus it keeps the load centred and means you don't have to fit a rack to your bike.
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    A pannier on one side only is not a problem really, I commuted to work with just one (often very full) and found there wasn't a difference in handling or balance. I'd go for an Ortlieb, very sturdy and 100% waterproof.
  • woolwich
    woolwich Posts: 298
    I agree with Cougie. If it's only for occaisional use ,a rucksack is fine. All luggage whether they are bar bags, under saddle or panniers seems to effect handling to a greater or lesser degree, so unless you either have a need for greater capacity or regularly ride in the heat of summer when a sweaty back is a pain,I wouldnt bother.
    A top tip with bottles of wine. They fit perfectly in water bottle cages :D Be aware though, glass and cycling isnt a great mix.
    Mud to Mudguards. The Art of framebuilding.
    http://locksidebikes.co.uk/
  • Is it not possible just to buy the wine from a local shop, rather than lug it the whole way? Although it's probably a heinous fashion crime I use a Lowe Alpine bum bag-type thing. It's big enough for a bottle of wine, but has compression straps to squash the size right down if needed.

Alternatively have you tried getting your clothes and overnight gear in a couple of large-sized water bottles? I'm serious! If you can restrict yourself to technical clothing which is designed to pack down real small, a micro fibre towel and travel size toiletries, you'll be amazed at how little you actually need to carry.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Is it before or after the wine you're finding your balance a bit off? :wink:
    Personally, I find riding with a medium sized/overnight backpack puts me off balance less than riding with a single pannier. I just take the ride a bit easier and stay in the saddle.
  • you could try an Ortlieb office bag or downtown bag. you'll have a great bag for many purposes and one that doesn't look overly like a pannier. one sided is fine for balance, you woun't even notice or realise the difference.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    I use a topeak beam quick release pannier rack. Clamps onto the seatpost, very sturdy and works really well. I travelled through France with it on my roadbike and use it regularly for work. I don't feel it on the bike anymore, got used to it very quickly.