North London Commuters beware in Finsbury Park

chilling
chilling Posts: 267
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
I was riding home last night through Finsbury Park as usual, as I got to the top of the hill I'm passed by 4 of North Londons finest youth on thier mountain bikes coming in the opposite direction. One of them has another bike slung over his shoulder which immediately sets the spidey senses tingling. It all looked a bit suss to me and the last of the youths was really giving me the once over as I passed them.

50 yards further on I come across a cyclist, without a bike so I ask him if he's just had his bike stolen to which he replies yes and can he borrow my phone. Rather than call the old bill, I say lets go see if we can catch them as I'd seen them head off towards the cafe and know the park quite well so had a good idea where they would be. As we are making our way towards the cafe we are having a chat. The guy says that one of the youths had caused an accident by riding into him, leaving them both on the floor, the kids 3 mates then appear from the gloom and tell him that 'if they can have the bike then that'll be the end of it'.

Anyway we make our way up to the cafe, I'm using my front light as a torch, (God bless CREE LED's those things are bright) We could pick out some refelective strips shining in the dark and head towards them.

The youth obviously spot us and make a break for it, splitting up and scooting off. Luckily the youth on the stolen bike didn't seem to be getting on with either the clipless pedals nor the brake lever shifters. Threw the chain off the front chain rings and so ditched the bike and dissapeared into the dark.

We recovered the bike and made our way out of the park discussing the new routes we were picking to avoid using it in the dark.

Commuters 1 - North London Scrotes 0

Comments