will my bits fit??????

timmo1978
timmo1978 Posts: 43
edited November 2011 in MTB general
looking to buy a cheapish hartail frame for the winter, at the mo im looking at a boardman pro 2010 frame which is at the right price.
but does anyone know if all the bits off my scott spark 10 would fit straight on?
got a ritchey carbon seatpost and headset and just a normal xtr drivetrain, brakes etc...
can anyone help?? :roll:
scott spark 10..

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Some will, some might, some might not.
    Problems might be seatpost and clamp, headset, BB, forks (steerer tube length), brakes might need adaptors, front mech.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    given that Scott use their own crazy seat tube diameter, you will def need a new seatpost and seatclamp, and will need at least adaptors for the front mech, if not a whole new one

seems like a lot of work for not a lot of gain i.e. is riding the Boardman going to be better than the Spark ? i would have thought no....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Can't really say without investigating all the parts. You just have to do some research.

Myself, I just build a Carbon 456 out of the bits from my old GT ID5.

Forks I kept (Recon 327, 130mm).

Drivetrain was a GXP Firex with some SRAM 'stuff' (cassette and chain) and some Shimano 'stuff' (mechs, shifter). All goes over no problem but did have to ensure I get the right bottom bracket (GXP in my case) for the cranks to fit.

Brakes I kept (but may end up binning as Juicy 3s are crap), so the front brake stays mounted on the forks that I also kept, wheels keep the rotors so no messing there, and rear brake fitted the mount fine, so easy job.

Headset I had to get special as the C456 has a tapered tube and my forks are straight 1 1/8, so On-one's Smoothie Mixer fixed that (they stated it's for the C456 so that's good enough for me).

Fork steerer was a bit long for the short head tube, so more spacers and had to file down slightly to get a good fit.

Seatpost & clamp I was lucky on, both the same sizes.

Front mech I made simple - single speed up front, no mech (single speed chainring was required though). Rear mech is easy. Indexing gears is, as always, not.

Everything else is just bolting stuff on, fiddling with gear cable (just got new inner and outer), and you'll have to work out cable routing. A good frame makes this easy.

Biggest problem is getting the stuff off the old bike, especially if it was put together by an LBS gorilla.