Integrate headset replacement

Will Nunez
Will Nunez Posts: 203
edited November 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Just noticed brown liquid seeping from heaset when washing bike. Took forks off and lower bearing is where its coming from.

Do I need a headset press or is there an alternative. Should I leave this for the LBS or is is this fairly straighforward?
Current Stock:
Carrera Vanquish '08
Orbea Onix T105 '11
Carrera Fury '07

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Fairly straightforward. Can remove with a screwdriver and fit with a hammer and a bit of wood or something to cushion it.
    Carefully.
    But if the bearing is smooth just clean up and leave it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rhialto
    rhialto Posts: 277
    edited November 2011
    I have a semi-integrated headset. That is, the cups are press-fitted into the frame. The bearings then roll around the cups. If you have a fully-integrated headset, then there won't be any cups as the bearings roll around in the frame itself.

In either case, if you need to overhaul the bearings it's a simple matter to pop them out of the cups/frame, de-grease, re-grease and re-install them. There may be a circular retainer that is slotted into the cups that prevents the bearings from falling out. This is easily removed as well. There is no need for a headset press as this is just to install the cups in the frame.

You don't need to replace the headset. You can overhaul the bearings or if they are completely rusted out, just replace the cartridge bearings.
  • It was smooth...but I didnt leave it....I dried it as best i could and then covered it in the grease I use for wheel bearings. I was hoping that would give it some wet weather protection. While I decided what to do.

Thanks cool dad, hammers screwdrivers and wood sounds a lot cheaper than an ejector and a headset press
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • dpaulett, when i looked at it there were not loose bearings. So Im guessing they are cartridge. Are they generic, ie its a 1 1/8 headset so i just need bearings if i do want to replace, but not a complete headset?
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • cooldad
    Yes just the bearings. Not all the same size but should have a code on the old ones.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    I got one of these to fit my headset. You could make one yourself but it would probably cost more in petrol to get to a hardware store.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEADSET-PRESS ... 19c9e678d0
  • Brilliant Mojo, at that price its worth having just in case!
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • cooldad
    That's a decent deal. I made one out of big washers but it was rubbish so I resorted to hammer and chunk of wood.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rhialto
    rhialto Posts: 277
    Will Nunez wrote:
    dpaulett, when i looked at it there were not loose bearings. So Im guessing they are cartridge. Are they generic, ie its a 1 1/8 headset so i just need bearings if i do want to replace, but not a complete headset?
    You are correct - they are cartridge bearings. For a 1 1/8 headset, bearings are readily available. I have seen Cane Creek replacement bearings on CRC for £14. As cooldad says, check the bearings for any info printed on the side. Hopefully you will see something like 1 1/8" 36 x 45 . That is a pretty typical headset bearing used by Cane Creek and Hope. However, I have seen FSA bearings at 36 x 36 so unfortunately there isn't one standard.