Laptops

trekker12
trekker12 Posts: 99
edited November 2011 in Commuting general
Does anybody commute carrying a laptop? I'm looking to use Panniers as my commute is getting longer and I don't like carrying a rucksack for more than ten minutes.

Do some panniers have extra padding and waterproofing for this purpose?
2007 Trek 1.2
2014 Genesis Equilibrium 20

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Get a dry bag from a kayak shop - and slip it into there inside the pannier. And a slab of foam either side should do it. Or even those plastic bubbles that you get from Amazon in your packages.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Yes, some panniers are designed specifically for laptops. My Altura one isn't, but it's still waterproof and has some padding. Maybe you'd want to get a sleeve for extra padding, but as long as it can't bounce around too much, it should be fine.
  • OK, thanks for the tips
    2007 Trek 1.2
    2014 Genesis Equilibrium 20
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    Altura do an Urban range designed for laptops. I have an older version of their 17" :

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Altura-Urban-Dr ... _15733.htm

It's massive and weighs a ton, but can easily carry a 15.6" wisescreen laptop, change of clothes, chargers, lights, paperwork, pens etc. The mounting system is excellent so you can adjust it to avoid heel strike (assuming you have a large enough bike). Mine's lasted 3 years and is only now coming unstitched near the handle. Fully waterproof, and with a laptop sleeve, but being the wrong size for my laptop I binned it in favour of a simple neoprene from crumpler!

My only critism is the zippable cover for the fittings gets mashed against the rack in use, so after a few months the zip breaks, but this isn't a key part. Velcro works well as a cheap fix if you don't want to dirty your shirt on the fittings when wearing as a shoulder bag.

Rufus.
  • I use the Vaude Cycle 25. Has a padded compartment for the laptop (I think it holds up to 15" laptop) and has plenty of space for my waterproof clothing, lunch, papers, etc. It is waterproof, ish, but it has a cover which you can put on which will cope with the typical british autumn/winter/spring/summer downpour.

The pannier clips fold away to reveal shoulder straps so it can be used as a rucksack off the bike.

http://www.vaude.com/epages/Vaude-de.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Vaude/Products/10255/SubProducts/102553410

Andy.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    RufusA wrote:
    Altura do an Urban range designed for laptops. I have an older version of their 17" :

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Altura-Urban-Dr ... _15733.htm

It's massive and weighs a ton, but can easily carry a 15.6" wisescreen laptop, change of clothes, chargers, lights, paperwork, pens etc. The mounting system is excellent so you can adjust it to avoid heel strike (assuming you have a large enough bike). Mine's lasted 3 years and is only now coming unstitched near the handle. Fully waterproof, and with a laptop sleeve, but being the wrong size for my laptop I binned it in favour of a simple neoprene from crumpler!

My only critism is the zippable cover for the fittings gets mashed against the rack in use, so after a few months the zip breaks, but this isn't a key part. Velcro works well as a cheap fix if you don't want to dirty your shirt on the fittings when wearing as a shoulder bag.

Rufus.

I have the same bag, just the 2006 (+/-) version. I had to replace the top bracket last year other than that, and a bit or road dirt, it looks like new.

I find that the "waterproof" label is a bit of a misnomer. It's fine in showers and light rain and will keep out road-spray for my 30-40 min commute but even sprayed with Nicwax, it lets in rain if it's heavy and prolonged (especially the side pocket which, for some reason, is outside of the internal storm-flap. I put the laptop, charger and anything else I don't want to get wet into a plastic bag if I'm going to be out in anything other than a shower.

I also find that the cloth outer takes an age to dry once it's wet which can be a pain, especially if I need to use it to carry the laptop during the day.

Bob