Slow1
Slow1 Posts: 71
edited December 2011 in Routes
Going to Afan in December - any tips/guidance on the following welcome:
(i) clothes and pads
(ii) how to approach the different tracks
(iii) drink stops on longer routes
(iv) how muddy and what tyres
(v) how exposed the routes are to weather (wind in particular)?

Cheers
Norco Aurum 2 2012
Spec Stumpy Expert EVO 2011
Scott Scale 50 2011
Scott Speedster S30 2010

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    (i) warm ones.
    (ii) just ride them, there's nothing very difficult.
    (iii) take it with you, there's nothing once you've left the bottom.
    (iv) it's S Wales
    (v) very at the top. dress warm.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • crust
    crust Posts: 27
    Give us a clue, what sort of riding you've done up to now.

Clothing depends on the weather, you can be pretty exposed on the top.

The tracks aren't massively technical, everything can be rolled, the climbs at the start of the trails can be quite long and steep if you're not used to climbing.

There's no cafes / burger vans once you're under way.

We went to Afan on cheapy bikes early on our our mtb adventures and had a great time.
  • Slow1
    Slow1 Posts: 71
    Most of the guys have done alot, my experience is limited to North Downs, Bedgebury and Peaslake (inc Barry Knows Best and more technical/steeper stuff).

Are pads a good idea on any of the trails?

Is a wind proof jersey and a thermal layer (with a waterproof on case of rain) enough or will we need full heavier duty jackets? I guess we're all fairly hardy types, but don't want to go under equipped.

On tyres do you think we should stick to a versatile tyre or are we looking at mud specific tyres?

Cheers
    Norco Aurum 2 2012
    Spec Stumpy Expert EVO 2011
    Scott Scale 50 2011
    Scott Speedster S30 2010
  • Tyres wise personally anything will do, lots of grip being a trail center even in the wet. I few rocky sections could write off lightweight XC tyres but thats probably more too do with technique/ability.

Its SW so it will be wet :-) so dress accordingly, personally pads are not required but if you wear them on most of your local rides and its a mental thing then wear them at Afan.

Take bin liners or something suitable to put all your wet clothes in post ride and enjoy the showers!!!

Good luck & Enjoy!
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    tyres- rubber ones preferably, i've never bothered with changing tyres and stuff, i just go out and ride.

clothing - yes it's getting colder here, i wear a base layer and usually a soft shell jacket that's shower proof but have a proper waterproof jacket stuffed away. - if you're doing skyline it's a long way from anything so be prepared if you get caught out.

trails - just ride them as fast/slow as you want, no rules really. i prefer y wal (the wall) some of my mates prefer whites level - ride them both together as W2 if you want.

check out here:

http://mbwales.com/en/content/cms/Centr ... _Park.aspx
  • If you've not been then I would head for the Glynn corwyg centre just up from afon. Pretty much the same place really there is a bike shop and cafe there. Whytes level is a tough climb so be prepared if you are not used to it. The whole trail could be done within 2 hours comfortable and unless you are very fit will feel more than enough. The down sections are challenging but great fun. If you are there on a rough wet windy day you really don't want to be attempting Skyline 50k unless you are totally prepared and up for it. All trails are sand based but still can get really wet. Your discs and pads can feel like crap after just 10 mins in . It's all well equipped, cafe showers etc when you get back. Enjoy. The guys in the shop are great and I've seen them do quick fixes and brake bleeds etc for guys going out who need help.
  • I did whites level last weekend, was amazing, so quiet for a sunny sunday afternoon! It was wet, but I've seen it worse. Keep a close eye on the weather, it can close in on you quickly. Take clothes to stay warm in the wind and rain and hope you get lucky with a sunny day. Pads, well if you feel happier wearing them then ye why not, they are not a must, but up to you. I dont wear them there unless im up for going silly fast on the descents.

To approach the tracks, only advice i can give is to ride and enjoy, don't go balls out on the climbs, save your energy for coming back down on the fun stuff. There's a few places you can stop for rests and admire the views, take a little picnic and fill your camelbak and you'll be fine.

Doesn't really get that muddy there, I was totally fine on my maxxis ardents on sunday, good solid performers like high rollers etc will be fine whatever the weather.

As for exposure to the weather, varies in places you are super exposed, and in places you are super sheltered. A lot of forestry work is taking place so what were dense forests are now open exposed areas.

Go have fun
    Follow me on....Google+
    Shop here....eBay Shop
  • Make sure equipment is well sealed,

My recent experiences at Afan has been alot of sand has been used in the trail maintenance, and it's really really fine sand, so when wet it seems to eat bearings in single rides :s