Looking for good hill climbs around Sheffield

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
Can anyone recommend any good steep roads to try out in Sheffield?

I'm gradually building a killer route around the city's steepest hills, mainly out in the Crookes, Ranmoor, Fulwood, Stocksbridge, Stannington and Loxley area.

Any contributions welcome...

Comments

• alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    There are loads around Sheffield. The steepest I have been on are the Strines. Heading north from A57 there are three or four up and downs culminating in an absolute beast of around 20-25% on the way to Langsett.

Of course, you also have the Snake Pass itself. But there are loads out to the north and west of Sheffield.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • rodgers73
    I was thinking of ones more within the city itself rather into the Peaks
  • ded
    ded Posts: 120
    If you want brutal go and do the road I used to live on - Hunter Hill Road. Short, but it stings!

Seriously tho', if you can't find hills in Sheffield you're not looking very hard :?
  • rodgers73
    There are parts of town I dont know that well so I'm really looking for the hills I'm not aware of and could be missing, rather than hving no idea at all.
  • ded
    OK - long time since I lived there (and why don't you want to head peak-wards? :? ) but how about Lodge Lane coming up from the A57 back into town, or anything that crosses Porter Clough will have a bit of hill in it, some more than others!
  • rodgers73
    I've done a lot of Peak District cycling, so I wanted a route that was more city-based for the variety. It's not often I do much cycling, other than commuting, in towns, so this would be a nice change of pace.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    A few more....

Rutland Road from Penistone Road

Stannington Road from Malin Bridge

Spout Lane (from Loxley Road --> Rowel Lane) up to Stannington Road

Ecclesall Road --> Ringinglow Road to Ringinglow top

Lodge Lane from the A57 up to Redmires Road
    More problems but still living....
  • Jenkin Rd Winkobank
    Oughtibridge Lane
    Morehall Lane (my favorite)
    Waller Rd
  • More
    Mickley Ln
    Twentywell Ln
    a bit further out
    Fox lane
    Unthank Lane
    Millthope Lane
  • rodgers73
    Mickley Ln
    Twentywell Ln

I grew up in Bradway/Totley so I know these two very well! :D
  • Try going up Stockarth Lane (just of middlewood road north) and continuing up into Worrell on Mowson Lane. This is a mile in total and is a real killer. There is no real run up to it so it is a proper grind. I go into the peaks quite a bit and this is still one of the hardest climbs around IMO.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    rodgers73 wrote:
    I'm gradually building a killer route around the city's steepest hills, mainly out in the Crookes, Ranmoor, Fulwood, Stocksbridge, Stannington and Loxley area.

In that area, basically any road coming up from Rivelin valley: Lodge Lane, or even better Hagg Hill, Walkley Lane/Road, or Hollins Lane or Long Lane (Rivelin --> Stannington) on the other side.

Loads between Stannington and Stocksbridge: High Bradfield, Wheel Lane! (tiny road joining Church St in Oughtibridge with Green Lane/Lumb Lane), New Mill Bank (Ewden --> Stocksbridge), Oaks Lane (up from Damflask reservoir).
  • 2Smart
    2Smart Posts: 105
    In the not so flat south of the city we have:-
    Gleadless Road after junction with Leighton Road
    East Bank Road
    Bishopscourt Road, Meersbrook
    Gashouse Lane, Mosborough

and up to Ringinglow Road there is Wood Cliffe and Hangram Lane (that might be the Porter Clough area that was mentioned earlier)
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    ded wrote:
    Seriously tho', if you can't find hills in Sheffield you're not looking very hard :?

+1 :lol:
  • rodgers73
    Der. I'm looking to plan a route that takes in some of the best, rather than just randomly ride around until I find them.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Der. I'm looking to plan a route that takes in some of the best, rather than just randomly ride around until I find them.

I regularly do evening winter training on suburban routes round SW Sheff. Usually ride up to Broomhill, then ride up and down hills zig-zagging out to Fulwood - Shore Lane/Darwin Lane/Tom Lane/Crimicar Lane/School Green Lane amongst others, then sometimes up Roper Hill.

Alternatively, out Nether Edge way, Brincliffe Edge Rd/Bannerdale/Carterknowle/Dore Rd/Twentywell/Queen Victoria Road.

Bit far from Donny for an evening jaunt though :-)
  • rodgers73
    Yeah, parents are in Dore so it'll be a weekend trip
  • Try - A61 North to Wadsley Bridge then take the left just after the railway bridge up Fox Hill Lane to Grenoside. A fair climb to that point. Then go left back to Oughtibridge and pretty much any road going west will be a good one. Plus you can pick up the Strines road that way at a number of points and get some quality hills there - worth heading up the valley past Wharncliffe Side to take Morehall Lane up to Bolsterstone then pick up the Strines at the Langsett end. Or you can go up the valley to Stocksbridge and ride up Pea Royd Lane (brutal).

All that was home once.... :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
    Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/
  • rodgers73
    For anyone interested, I tried these climbs out last Saturday. Because I was starting from my parents house near Dore Station, I decided to leave out the hills over in Stocksbridge, Oughtibridge and Worrall for another day as a separate self-contained ride. The short daylight hours meant it was likely I'd end up riding some of these in the dark!

I missed out one or two of the remaining suggested climbs due to location or lack of perceived difficulty (I checked out roads I wasn't familiar with using Google Street View and those that didn't appear too steep were dropped, although I'm aware this wasn't a foolproof method!).

I started off at Dore Station, meaning that I was straight into it with the climb up Twentywell Lane, then on into Bradway and dropping down Queen Victoria Road so I could get to the bottom of Prospect Place, then back down Queen Vic and left at the bottom up Mickley Lane. I followed the roads back into Bradway, on to Greenhill and down to Archer Road and along Abbeydale Road turning right up Woodseats Road, over the crossroads up Scarsdale Road and along to Bishops Court Road. I went down that and then straight back up it, then the same for Derbyshire Lane. Then down through Heeley onto Queens Road turning right up Myrtle Road and then back down to Queens Road past the ice rink and through the town centre onto Penistone Road turning right onto Rutland Road. I turned left off there taking the road up to the Ski Village, but on reflection going up Rutland may have been harder.

I stopped at the Ski Village for a coffee then down Infirmary Road (fell off when my front wheel got stuck in the tram tracks!) to Stannington Road, which I followed for most of the way then failed to notice it branches off to the right and ended up going on until I reached Rails Road. I went all the way down to Rivelin Valley Road before I noticed my mistake and had to double back, giving me a "bonus" hill. I got back onto Stannington Road and followed it to the junction with Lees Moor Lane and then turned off that onto Storrs Lane (it would have been harder doing that road in the other direction as it has a killer gradient) and then up Spout Lane.

Back down Stannington Road and down Hollins Lane (another I should have climbed rather than decended!) across Rivelin Valley Road and right onto Waller Road. Then looping back down onto Rivelin Valley Road and along to the bottom of Hagg Hill, Back Lane and Stephen Hill. I turned right at the top of them heading out of town on Manchester Road then right to go up Lodge Lane. Back into town on Redmires Road and Sandygate Road and stopped for a break at the Jet petrol station.

Back down Stephen Hill to Rivelin Valley Road and along that into Hillsborough (another tumble, this time skidding on the wet tram tracks rather than wedging in them! Got some lovely road rash...) and picking up the bottom of Walkley Lane and all the way up that to Crookes high street. Along to Manchester Road again and down to the junction with Fulwood Road, turning right heading out of town and going and up back down Shore Lane, then further down Fulwood Road for Gladstone Road and then Ivy Park Road.

Back again to Fulwood Road and again heading out of town following it to the bottom of Crimicar Lane. At the top of Crimicar it was virtually dark and I had one climb left before home - Hangingwater. I'd thought it would be bad but it turned out to be less strenuous than Hagg and Stephen Hills. At the top I headed back to to Dore along Ecclesall Road South.

So, I think I managed a fair few of the hills suggested in this thread. Some got missed out due to being in the wrong place or being basically duplicates of climbs heading up the same hillside (this was particularly true in Fulwood) and the rest I've saved for a day in NW Sheffield.
  • Ha - i'd managed to erase Hangingwater Road from my memory although I actually lived at number 130 for 8 months or so! Both the climb on the road that forks off and up to Ringinglow Road, or the climb up to the school are fairly harsh from memory! Another fairly long in-town climb would be from the Fire Museum (round-a-bout on Gibraltar Steet) up to the University road-a-bout then up Crookes Valley Road - then turn left by the jewellers and up School Road all the way into Crookes. Also Northumberland Road/Conduit Road are v steep too - although short. Last time i visited Sheffield half the city road layout seemed to have changed though..!

• rodgers73
    In the centre it changes daily!
  • Thinking about this thread is actually like having a flashback...

Used to drive this - a remember it being a pig but perhaps that was burning the clutch out waiting for a gap in traffic. Good track standing opportunities on the junctions:

From Malin Bridge - a couple of turns off Loxley Road take you up Rivelin Bank, Walkley Bank Road then tight right up Walkley Road all the way up to Crookes. Gotta be one of the biggest height gains you can do in the city?

• rodgers73
    I'd agree on that - because I did it! Although it wasnt too tough, just long.

Hagg Hill was worse - shorter distance and probably less height gain but the gradient was evil!
  • ded
    rodgers73 wrote:
    For anyone interested, I tried these climbs out last Saturday.
    Wot no GPS track??? ;-)
  • rodgers73
    Get a map, lazy! :-D