Missing gears, can anyone help ?

Peter Owen
Peter Owen Posts: 3
edited November 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi
Im trying to set up the rear deraileur on my commencal combi hard tai, It has shram X7 and i have managed to get all but the last gear (smallest) to shift , the top gear however needs 2 compressions to shift down to the next ring.
Obviously i cant shift into the smallet ring as ive used the shift to leave the top ring.
This is a first time for me setting this up but ive followed an on line demo to the letter.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to fix this?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Limit screws or cable tension wrong. Undo everything an start again. Parktools website has good info.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ah ok
    I'll have another go tomorow,
    many thanks
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just make sure the shifter is in the right position before you start.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • When changing to the smallest back ring the gear cable should not be under any tension, or at least only minimal. Either the High limit screw is set too far in not allowing the derailleur to move far enough out, or there is too much tension on the cable. If its taking 2 clicks to drop down from large cog then it sounds like you definitely have the cable tension set too high. As Cooldad says, the park tools site has great tutorials that will walk you through setting your gears up properly.
    Canyon Nerve XC7
    Carrera Fury
    Specialized Secteur Elite
    Planet X Uncle John