mountainbike orienteering????

madmax245
madmax245 Posts: 108
edited November 2011 in MTB general
just entered the bmbo gisburn forest orienteering competition not knowing what i need, what to do or what to take.can anyone offer any advice about the competition.
do i need a map?(or are they given to you on the day)
live to ride ,ride to live
If I'm not riding I'm not happy.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Usually, for orienteering the map (with the control points on it) is given to you but I'm no expert so check. Another thing to check is if you need to get the points in order or if you can get them in the quickest order.

You ll need a compass and I'd take something to write with (pencil, not pen!)...erm...then I suppose normal XC race stuff for the bike/food etc. Someway of fixing the map to your handlebars so you can get at it quickly would be good as well.

Oh, and some hide and seek skills are useful to if you have a crafty bugger laying the course ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • On the ones I've done you get the map with all the points on it given to you.

Different points will have different scores so the best thing to do when you get the map is sit down and work out a rough route of which points you want to aim for primarily... a marker that will write on laminate is especially useful for this!