Starting self timed 10 mile TTs

jsands294
jsands294 Posts: 33
edited November 2011 in Road beginners
Hey all. My first post and just looking some advice.

I found a route that is 10 mile using the car, google maps and finally my speedometer(also to check if my speedo is correct).

My first time was 23:52 and my second was 26:20, was kinda wet and windy.

My question is, are these good times? I have looked online at the local cycling clubs times and these times are just as fast as the top end riders. Should I join the club and get some face to face advice on how to improve on these times?

Ive only been cycling from end of June, and only just got my first proper racer there recently. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... 317/49825/

Any comments or advice is much appreciated :)
Giant Defy 4(Triple) 2012

Giant TCR Advanced SL 4 2013

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    They are not too bad to be honest, especially on a road bike. A proper TT course will be either and out and back course or a circuit that start finish near each other.

If it was just 10 miles from end to end, then things like the wind will influence the time you can do by quite a bit.

If you want to improve join a club and go along to their evening TT races, all very relaxed and fun. You can't really compare times from different courses, or in fact different days, weather and course conditions vary enormously.
  • Thanks! :D Will definitely join the club, but the season is over until March I think for them :P

What are good times to try and beat consistently?

• petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    23:52 is pretty bloody good mate.

If you're timing yourself always do a loop or a 5 mile return route so you aren't getting a tailwind all the way. Good times will vary but I'd say the time to beat is always your last Personal Best.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    jsands294 wrote:
    Thanks! :D Will definitely join the club, but the season is over until March I think for them :P

What are good times to try and beat consistently?

Yes club events will start March/April time.

As for a good time, well it is all relative, but 23 mins for a 10 is not a bad time at all, and to be honest until you do a proper one with a number on your back you don't really know how fast you are. Best aim is to try and go faster each time, not easy but certainly a challenge.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Under 24 minutes for 10 miles is an average speed of just over 25mph which is clearly exceptional for most people, especially if you are just starting out.

Good to see you are riding a triple chainset bike as well. Your fast times at the local TT should shut-up any bike snobs that look down on anyone without a double or a compact!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Very good times but why the 3 minute difference ? Winds ?

You may be better off measuring a 5 mile out and back leg and doing it both ways to cancel out wind and hills effects.

And riding with a club will get you fitter for when the season begins.
  • Thank you all! :) It was a completely different type of day. There was wind and wet patches on my route on the second time.

Why do people look down on the triple chainset? Ive heard they have but why is what I'm wondering

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It used to be that triples were only on touring bikes - so you'd only need the lower gears if you were laden down.
    If you were a decent enough cyclist, and not carrying luggage - you'd not really need the lower gears that a triple gives you.
  • Cheers :) I got the triple mainly due to range it has and the massive hills round my area. Good ol' County Down in Northern Ireland. Also that top ring lets me power down when I can fly down the hills or decent flats.

Going to be good when I finally sign up to my local club and start the TT's and races in March. Show them what I can do :)