• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    +1 to all the above, great effort
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Great effort Pete, very well done, especially considering your equipment, and that from what I can tell the majority of your training is commuting, very impressive.

But I'm afraid I've come to the conclusion that Tri-athletes are cr@p at riding bikes! I was amazed that over on Tri-Talk or whatever forum it is that has the 3 lap thing on it that they're mostly slower than the one on here, yet one imagines that they are all using TT bikes, or at least bikes with a TT slant...Odd.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    pangolin wrote:
    You got 3rd overall in the 50k Strava segment that was a whole lap of the IM route?!

Yup, seemingly so!

@okgo I think I did maybe 4 rides this year greater than 50miles and nothing near race distance, so commuting has done me well but you are right! This is why I enjoy tri, as a thoroughly crap swimmer I get to beast everyone on the road! Pretty much every other person I overtook was on deep wheeled tri bike carbon machinery with sperm hats, its a MAMIL dream sport.
    That's a great run time considering the heel problems. Paced it spot on by the looks of it as well.

The big question - Would you do it again?

no.

ok, never say never, if a few mates say hey lets go do lanzarote and make a week of it, I'll be in.

2013 is the year of the bike, should really get my licence and pitch myself against some better competition!
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    Epic! Well done!
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Chapeau...think that says it all!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I have a done a few 70.3's. They are tough and training is tough - impossible to train when you have kids though....

My preferred races are the duathlon type stuff - run - cycle - run on or off road riding/running. They feel a bit more adventure racy to me and the distance is tolerable for the commuting cyclist/basic runner.

I was trying to organise a Biathlon type event in my local area - Cycle - Shoot - Cycle. Consisting of 2 time trial routes with a stop off at the local shooting range that I am a member of. More of a fun event than a heart pounding stomp....
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    iPete wrote:
    MEGA BUMP :mrgreen:

fark me, it is done. In a few days when I can walk again normal life can resume :D

Official result:
    Swim: 01:23:23
    Bike: 05:46:07 http://app.strava.com/rides/14194260
    Run: 04:28:31 http://app.strava.com/runs/14221849
    Total: 11:57:00
    Overall: 235/1500

Pretty handy on a bike when I need to be. Always good fun and must have raised a few eyebrows on my allu roadie, shallow rims, mtb helmet and spds as I cruised passed 500 people in all sorts of aero kit. 8)

Bloody well done. The club road out to eccleston on sunday to pay our little homage to wiggins and we saw the absolutely loads of IM's on the cycling part - it did look good with the police outriders and everything. Just checked your strava too - up over belmont is tough as it is but do it as part of a 100+mile ride - chapeau.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    iPete wrote:
    MEGA BUMP :mrgreen:

fark me, it is done. In a few days when I can walk again normal life can resume :D

Official result:
    Swim: 01:23:23
    Bike: 05:46:07 http://app.strava.com/rides/14194260
    Run: 04:28:31 http://app.strava.com/runs/14221849
    Total: 11:57:00
    Overall: 235/1500

Pretty handy on a bike when I need to be. Always good fun and must have raised a few eyebrows on my allu roadie, shallow rims, mtb helmet and spds as I cruised passed 500 people in all sorts of aero kit. 8)

Bloody well done. The club road out to eccleston on sunday to pay our little homage to wiggins and we saw the absolutely loads of IM's on the cycling part - it did look good with the police outriders and everything. Just checked your strava too - up over belmont is tough as it is but do it as part of a 100+mile ride - chapeau.

It seems I collected quite a few tops 10s on my travels! The road closures were fantastic, infact I had a good battle with a roadie who was free riding the closed roads for about 30 miles, he thought he was fast against all the slow triathletes so i beasted him up the hills but he kept catching me as I slowed to collect food and drink!

Couldn't avoid a little SCR even on an Ironman! :lol: