42-44 tooth upgrade

magicrichard
magicrichard Posts: 69
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
So, I have been trying to think of ways to make my MTB commuter a bit faster (without buying a proper bike ;)) realistically, how much difference would getting a 44 tooth outer ring improve my top speed over a 42 tooth?

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    How much do you spin already? Might just be you need to move your legs faster :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I'm prepared to accept that I could move my legs quicker on the flats! It's just I have two or three large downhills where my legs are at their maximum cadence and I wondered whether I could easily extend my top speed at this point by just adding a couple of teeth to my outside cog!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    this will let you know what your speed will be at a particular cadence
    http://software.bareknucklebrigade.com/ ... pplet.html
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • So, I have been trying to think of ways to make my MTB commuter a bit faster (without buying a proper bike ;)) realistically, how much difference would getting a 44 tooth outer ring improve my top speed over a 42 tooth?

about 5% assuming you are pedalling at the same cadence
    <a>road</a>
  • Thanks for the link and thanks for the %!

Obviously it's only going to improve my 11 mile commute by a matter of seconds, but that's what it's all about, right? :wink:
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Fit a tri-bar. Looks strange but you will deffo goes faster.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I went from 44 to 48 because I felt like I was spinning out to often on the 44 so maybe go bigger.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    42 is pretty short gearing, especially with the 26" wheels you have on that thing.

44 will give you a pretty useful bump; you can also look at a different back block to give taller gearing.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    dhope wrote:
    How much do you spin already? Might just be you need to move your legs faster :D
    I guess you have an 11-thirtysomething cassette.
    Not quite sure what tyres you've got - guess they're slick on the road, but if you're not keeping up over 25mph on the flat road, you don't need taller gears.

Do you have flat pedals ? If so, strapless toeclips, or (loose) toestraps, or speedplay if you have the money, would let you make more power at a given rpm, and spin faster. Anything that lets you offload the pedals on the upstroke without your feet flying off will do this. Stops your legs fighting each other. Strapless toeclips are cheap and safe - can't have clipless moments, and can't hurt yourself with lack of float, or silly saddle position.

If your commute isn't too hilly, you could try a 12-21 or 11-23 or somesuch cassette, and see if you like the close gears on the road.