Why do you cycle?

whydoyoucyclesurvey
edited November 2011 in Commuting general
Hi guys,

I'm currently undertaking a piece of research into the motives behind why different people cycle for my undergraduate dissertaion.

If any of you would be kind enough to lend 10 minutes of your time to fill out a short questionnaire I would be very grateful.

Just click on the link below and it will take you straight to the survey!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/vie ... TjJCb3c6MQ

Thanks

Adam

Comments

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    how about, because I cant afford a second car, hate public transport and it's the only real alternative
  • *like*
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    You have considered the statistical effect of posting this thread in "Commuting General", haven't you?
  • gave up on it sorry. I get very bored very quickly with the pseudo psychometric guff and your wording is somewhat idiosyncratic.

in a nutshell. bloke, 42, primarily non competitive, annual spend varies dramatically depending on what I need - sometimes its a couple of tyres and a new cassette, sometimes its £1500 worth of bike. I ride to keep fit, because I enjoy it & it gives me some me time, I am not shallow enough to cycle for other people, only me. I don't have enough of a need to answer an infinitesimally different question 5 times over.

this is where I got alternately bored and irritated.
  • gave up on it sorry. I get very bored very quickly with the pseudo psychometric guff and your wording is somewhat idiosyncratic.

in a nutshell. bloke, 42, primarily non competitive, annual spend varies dramatically depending on what I need - sometimes its a couple of tyres and a new cassette, sometimes its £1500 worth of bike. I ride to keep fit, because I enjoy it & it gives me some me time, I am not shallow enough to cycle for other people, only me. I don't have enough of a need to answer an infinitesimally different question 5 times over.

this is where I got alternately bored and irritated.

Totally agree with what he said! I was all set to respond to your questionnaire and but got annoyed by being asked the same question over and over! I'd suggest going back to the questionnaire and trying to make it more concise - you might get a half decent response then.
  • took me two minutes, imo it's less effective when you think about it more. I cycle due to a mental illness simple
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I just post random sh1t in surveys. Hate people who just join to do their homework.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    took me two minutes, imo it's less effective when you think about it more. I cycle due to a mental illness simple

To acquire more or to lessen the symptoms ?
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • AndyManc
    Environmental, fun , health and fitness , expense , political .............. not necessarily in that order .

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I totted up what I save a month, ~£400 per month by pitching the 2nd car. Reason enough.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • AndyManc wrote:
    took me two minutes, imo it's less effective when you think about it more. I cycle due to a mental illness simple

Lessen symptoms generally, nice to get out there and hit the trails to clear up your head :)
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc wrote:

Lessen symptoms generally, nice to get out there and hit the trails to clear up your head :)

Well it's widely accepted, exercise improves mental health, Doctors will more often than not prescribe gym membership than medication, though some gyms are far from inspiring.

URBAN_MANC.png
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Survey full of a load of claptrap to be honest. Where was a simple "I enjoy riding my bike" ?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • You could reduce that to 10 questions, most are the same. You have over thought the questions and ended up with repeats.

You've also forgot to mention the most fundamental reasons many of us commute to work/cycle -
    1. Save petrol money.
    2. Save time waiting for buses/public transport
    3. Give up relying on car (because they are so expensive to run -petrol, depreciation etc)

You need to do your homework again I think!
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    1) I love riding bikes
    2) cheaper than other commuting
    2) Stops me getting fat
    3) less impact on the planet
    4) quicker than most forms of commuting
    5) smugness

in roughly that order
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    edhornby wrote:
    1) I love riding bikes
    2) cheaper than other commuting
    2) Stops me getting fat
    3) less impact on the planet
    4) quicker than most forms of commuting
    5) smugness

in roughly that order

Exactly as above but in roughly the opposite order.
  • To be honest I didn't like the survey and I don't think it will capture why I cycle with the questions asked. The reason I cycle is quite straight forward: The traffic round here (Bristol) is really bad and its far faster and cheaper to get to work on my bike. It's just cold hard logic really.

I also cycle recreationally because I enjoy it.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Bored of this v quickly.

Why do I cycle? It's huge fun, cheaper than driving and makes me grin like a loon when I hit 28mph on the final mile run in to work, and back home 10 hours later. I didn't see those options in the quiz.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Done but if you don't cycle for either fitness, competitiveness or for emotional and mental reasons, this survey doesn't really seem appropriate....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • To lose weight, save money by not driving the car and have fun.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk