Boardman HT 2011 Buzzing

togg
togg Posts: 80
edited November 2011 in MTB beginners
I've just noticed on the last few rides the bike is starting to buzz and make a grinding noise coming from the front wheel I guess?

You can also hear this noise coming from the rear wheel also, as if a cable is catching the tyre at high speeds and making a noise. Also when your pedalling and move the handle bars side to side it gets much worse, and its very bad at high speed?

When the bike is stopped and you lift the front wheel it spins round perfectly and makes no noise.

Comments

• FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    could be a couple of things - one of which you mention; check the cable on the front mech isn't catching the tyre. Remember to check this in all 3 chainrings as when it's on the top ring (and so you're doing high speed) the cable will be in a much different position than when you're in the little ring.

As for the buzzing from the front. Maybe your disc caliper? If you say it gets worse when you "rock" side to side, you may find adjusting the caliper and ensuring your axle is tight may help.

The bike reacts very differently under weight, this is why spinning the wheels in the air doenst always highlight the problems.

If all else fails, get it to your local bike shop for them to check it.......or if it's new, get it back to Halfords (I would only recommend this for work under warranty before any of you start!)
  • togg
    togg Posts: 80
    thanks, I think it may be the disc caliper but its got so many different screws on it, not sure which to try?

The noise definitely gets worse when you move the bike ie pedalling hard up a hill, or cycling fast on flat or down a hill
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    Tyre roar maybe the tyres are pretty loud on concrete surfaces and hard pack. Doubt it from what you have said but it could be...
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    Other thing to try maybe if you think its the disks take the pads out and go for a really really slow ride but don't touch the levers! That will add a whole world of problems. If its that the noise should stop just remember you have no brakes lol
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • S-M
    S-M Posts: 174
    As above, the stock tyres really roar on the 2011

It only has 2 chainrings.

My money is on the wheel bearings.
    1999 Specialized FSR Elite MAX Backbone.
    1998 Specialized FSR Ground Control - stripped for parts.
    2011 Boardman Pro HT - SOLD! (low quality, expensive garbage)
  • Also check that there is no beehive under the saddle - you don't need one of those!