Windstopper Jacket, Newbie Advice

TrickyGB
TrickyGB Posts: 81
edited November 2011 in Road beginners
Hello,

I'm after a bit of advice about a windstopper jacket, I'm new to more serious cycling and of late have been getting cold so I'm after a windstopper jacket. After trying a number of products on I find the Gore Bike Wear stuff to fit me quite well and after reading a couple of review they seem to do the job.

Can anyone recommend me one of the following, or give me any reason to steer clear of a particular item, they all appear to do what I want I was just wondering if one would be better than another:

Gore Phantom Windstopper

Gore Countdown Windstopper

Gore Contest Windstopper

Gore Power Windstopper

Other recommendations are also welcome, I have a budget of around £90-£100 and from various websites all the above are achieveable at this price

Thanks in advance

Comments

• nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I've had a Gore Phantom for 3 years now and it's a great jacket, I used to think the zip-off arms were a bit gimmicky but have used them a few times recently (even if you don't actually remove the arms the zips under the pits can be handy to open up). One of the rear pockets on mine has just given up so will probably be replacing it like-for-like shortly. I also have an Altura nightvision (windproof softshell one) and a Pearl Izumi windproof softshell both pretty good but not quite as good as the Gore (although they were a fair bit cheaper). The Endura convert looks pretty good to but I know where I stand with the Phantom.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you can find yourself a deal on a Gore Tool it's unlikely you'll be looking for a winter jacket for a few years - it is quite warm and so the pit-zips are welcome. I had a Phantom for a while but it wasn't anything like as good.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dd1
    dd1 Posts: 73
    I bought the Phantom and well worth the price. Zip off arms are great once you get warmed up during the autumn / early spring.
    Cannondale Super Six Hi Mod Sram Red
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    If you can find yourself a deal on a Gore Tool it's unlikely you'll be looking for a winter jacket for a few years - it is quite warm and so the pit-zips are welcome. I had a Phantom for a while but it wasn't anything like as good.

The Tool is a brilliant jacket for winter, but could be too warm at the moment. Wore mine last year in minus conditions with only a very thin base layer to soak up the sweat.
    For me it is
    Winter - Gore Tool
    Early Spring/Late Autumn - Long sleeve Gore Xenon
    All the rest - Short sleeve Gore Contest
    Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Phantom for me.
  • I've just ordered the Gore Contest II jacket from Wiggle (took advantage of the extra £10 off offer that expired today) - I tend to get pretty hot pretty quickly, so thought it was a better option than something fleece-lined like the Tool.

Xenon looks very nice and a bit of a step up in design to me - if I wasn't so unsure about my requirements (still pretty new to road biking, in the 21st century at least :lol:) I'd probably have shelled out the extra.

Will let you know what I make of the Contest anyway.
  • hello all, thanks for the advice, I too was looking to take advantage of the Wiggle deal but I think i'm going to hold out a little longer.

Like 'GingerMagician' I get hot quite quickly so I think the Fleece lined Gore Tool may be too warm for me, so I think i'll look for one of the others - the Phantom seems to get good comments - and wear a couple of layers underneath when it really gets cold.

Thanks for all the advice, let me know how the Contest II goes
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Also have a Gore Phantom which I'm pleased with - it is very versatile.

To go with the windstopper - I have a selection of merino wool base layers/tops (from PX) that work very well under the Phantom, depending on how cold the weather is.

But beware about wool - great material - but wash carefully - my thickest top now almost fits my 5 yr old - after the wife washed it! I am 'sold' on merino wool - it's a great material.
    Simon
  • My daughter has bought me a 'windstopper' DHB jacket for my birthday. Although supposed to fit over other clothing , the XL with a bit tight around the middle. I had to change it for an XXL:oops: The replacement fits around the middle but is cut for a rider with shoulders like Sir Chris Hoy! It is effective despite being very thin and folds into a bag which fits a pocket. A good friend on changeable days as it is, sort of, showerproof. Once winter really kicks in hereabouts I shall be in my Shutt softshell jacket which served through the previous unpleasantness with just a long sleeved base layer beneath. That truly is a 'windstopper' and toasty as well.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Older Gore windstopper kit is fantastic, the new stuff feels pretty cheap to me. I own a newer gore windstopper gilet and it's the only bit of cycling kit I own (and I own quite a bit) that makes me smell like like a polecat after 2-3 days use. I wouldn't buy Gore stuff again.