Stupid 10sp Question...

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited October 2011 in MTB buying advice
These is no difference between a 9sp and 10sp crankset is there? (not the rings, just the crankset its self).

Taaa...

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it depends who you talk to.

so sorry yes and no.

you need to be more specific in the question.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thinking about this again: http://clee-cycles.co.uk/esite/P955/product

So trying to find a cheap set of HT2 cranks without rings... then use the rings I've currently got on the 10sp on the HT2 crankset.
  • nicklouse
    what are the current rings?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • The Northern Monkey
    The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
    edited October 2011
    hummmm.... 27-42T

Fancy trying it with SLX crankset, if it doesn't work then I'll stick the SLX on the Canyon.
  • nicklouse
    and the fitting?
  • BCD is 104/64mm!

Been readings over on MTBR, seems a few people have got this working with 9sp cranksets without even changing the rings!
  • nicklouse
    so shimano? or?

if shimano here is some info I got.
    Another grey area I am afraid. Shimano 9 and 10 speed rings do actually differ. The shift ramps are different and I have heard that this can cause issues with the chain trying to climb up the next ring if you use 10 speed rings on a 9 speed set up. With other manufacturers who do not put as much emphasis on shifting performance I don't think there is any difference between their 9 and 10 speed rings.

Not a clear cut answer I am afraid but that is as I understand it.
  • Yeah I was reading similar a while ago... however this guy is using old 9sp RF cranks with new 10sp chainrings.

I think that as long as I use my current 10sp rings on a 9sp crankset, there shouldn't be an issue as long as the rings fit!
    Originally Posted by titusbro
    Here's what I'd like to do...

XT 10-speed cassette
    Sram PC-1051 10-speed chain
    New Race Face rings (on my existing 2008 RF Deus cranks - double-ring setup)
    Sram X.9 10-speed rear derailleur
    Sram X.9 10-speed shifters (F&R) - EDIT - Only got a rear X.9 10speed shifter and used my existing XTR top-pull and X.0 front shifter combo
    Existing 2008 XTR top-pull FD

Will it work?
    I finally got all the parts yesterday afternoon and slapped it together last night. I threw on a new rear cable housing and got the rear shifting working pretty good on the workstand, and the front derailleur only needed a little more outboard trim to push the chain all the way onto the middle ring.

This morning I headed out for the shakeout ride in the Phoenix Mountain Preserve (PMP) here in Arizona. The PMP has it all - steeps, chutes, chunk - all on a mountain of rocks! A good place to test the shifting performance of any drive-train...

...and the 10-speed conversion worked GREAT! No missed shifts, no chain-suck, no front or rear derailleur issues. As expected, I was able to stay in my middle-ring longer and the 22 granny-36 combo helped out in the steep tech sections. I think it's a keeper!
  • nicklouse
    yep no reason why they should not as the internal widths are the same and the rings are correctly aligned but the issue can be the distance between the rings.
  • nice will have a think about if its worth it or not!

Cheers!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They're not Shimano rings if 27/42, if they're 64/104 BCD they'll be absolutely fine.