Hardtail - XC or Trail Geometry ???

vim147
vim147 Posts: 120
edited November 2011 in MTB buying advice
I've been browsing alot while trying to decide which type of 1st bike i'd like to buy.

Been deciding on Full or Front suspension and seems like Front suspension will be more suitable for the type of riding i'll be doing.

I'll be riding light trails, riding around country roads, singletrack and road use. 40-50+ miles. Am not looking to compete in races though

I've narrowed down some bikes but some are XC geometry and some are (trail) upright. Also 100mm travel and 120mm travel.

Specialized Stumpjumper (XC)
Specialized Rockhopper (Trail)
Scott Scale (XC)
Cube Ltd (XC)
Cube Attention (Trail)
Canyon Grand Canyon AL (Trail)
Giant XTC (XC)
Whyte 801 (Trail)
Boardman HT (Trail)

I want a bike under 12 - 12.5kg

My budget is £500 or cheaper. Am looking at used bikes as i can get more for my money. Nothing older then 2 years.

I dont need people telling me to go try these bikes out and see which i like as i'll be doing that anyway. Also am not interested in Carrera or GT bikes.

I just need your thoughts on XC vs Trail geometry and any recommendation/advice.

The Boardman seems to be the obvious choice but will 120mm be too much or should i go for something racey.

Comments

• I'd only really class the 120mm bikes as trail tbh. Personally, I'd much prefer a trail bike over an XC bike. I'm so glad I went for my 120mm hardtial, instead of an XC 100mm model.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you want a more stretched out riding position, and quicker handling, then XC type geo is the way to go. If more stability and a more upright, more comfortable position, then the 'trail' geometry. Though there can be a lot of overlap, and some longer travel bikes can be steeper angled than some shorter travel machines.

I do think it really will come down to testing. A good compromise could be a fork with external travel adjust ie RockShox Uturn - this will allow you to tailor the angles somewhat. Bars and stems can be changed to tune position, to a degree. Something like a Genesis Core 30, 2010.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I'd also look at what you call trail and XC in terms of geometry. The 'trail' geometry of something like a Cube Acid is very different to the trail geometry of say the Whyte.

I'd still describe bikes like the Rockhopper and the Acid as XC, though they're not designed for full on competition racing they are still fairly sharp handling bikes
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    On a HT I would go for XC geometry, I find it more fun, and gives more precise handling.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Seems a real pity your not even willing to think about the carrera range, you get a stonkingly good bike for not much money that is well worth future upgrades.

You may get abit more if you buy used but then you are getting a used bike with potentially all the used bike problems unless you REALLY know what to look for before parting with your hard earned cash.