Cyclocross races

Teach
Teach Posts: 386
edited November 2011 in Amateur race
I watched my first cyclocross race today (go ride).
It looked great fun and I'd like to get into it. There is another go ride in a couple of weeks, which I will be entering. Having looked on the british cycling website there are also categroy c races.
Can I enter these or do I have to do something else to qualify?
I do not expect to win, just don't want to embarrass myself.
In a fortnight I might decide go ride is more than enough, but I know the season is short and I fancy giving it a go.
Roughly when does the season finish?
Where else might I find out about other cyclo cross events other than the bc website?
I live in west yorkshire.
Cheers

Comments

• FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Use the BCF calendar and then google or use the link from the BCF calendar to get to the league's site (central, wessex, london, etc).

When you get to the league's site it'll tell you if there is a Go-Cross or Novice or Senior Category. If you're >40 you're a vet. Just stick with Senior and see how it goes.

Best thing to do is get out and try it and do at least 4/5 before you make up your mind.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Use the BCF calendar and then google or use the link from the BCF calendar to get to the league's site (central, wessex, london, etc).

When you get to the league's site it'll tell you if there is a Go-Cross or Novice or Senior Category. If you're >40 you're a vet. Just stick with Senior and see how it goes.

Cat C is just show up and ride, a license is a good idea but not even mandatory and you don't need to enter on-line weeks before like road races.

This is why cross is the best!

Get out and try it and do at least 4/5 races before you make up your mind.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Teach wrote:
    I watched my first cyclocross race today (go ride).
    It looked great fun and I'd like to get into it. There is another go ride in a couple of weeks, which I will be entering. Having looked on the british cycling website there are also categroy c races.
    Can I enter these or do I have to do something else to qualify?
    I do not expect to win, just don't want to embarrass myself.
    In a fortnight I might decide go ride is more than enough, but I know the season is short and I fancy giving it a go.
    Roughly when does the season finish?
    Where else might I find out about other cyclo cross events other than the bc website?
    I live in west yorkshire.
    Cheers

Whereabouts in West Yorks are you? I think there's an event in the Wakefield area this weekend, and also one at Myrtle Park, Bingley, coming up later in the month. I raced at Bingley about 6 years ago as I was living in Leeds at the time - makes for a good afternoon out. Tough course if it gets muddy and the autumn leaves have really piled up on the ground, but still great fun.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal