Torque wrenches - important?

jsync
jsync Posts: 120
edited November 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have recently got a new set of Formula K24 brakes. Before I take off the old Juicy 3s do I need to get a torque wrench? Obviously it is best practice but is it really vital?

I will be changing out the discs, calipers and levers.

Thanks,

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not really if you know what you are doing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you don't know your own strength and/or aren't used to the typical torques required, they are a use to indicate the right torque.

As said, if you know what you're doing, they're not essential.

That said, some LBS should know what they're doing but they over torque using gorilla hands.

If you do go with torque wrenches, be aware there are often different wrenches for high torques and low torques. Whilst there's some cross over, the accuracy of one for the other purpose is not good. Thus if you want wrenches for all jobs, you can end up paying a fortune for two.

Also, watch out with carbon.
  • I bought one and don't regret it. Peace of mind. Very easy to overcook it. Mistakes can be expensive! They are a little pricey but can be bought jointly and shared with mates.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Something to note that I recently discovered. Many torque wrenches are not calibrated for anticlockwise tightening. Doing up the left threaded pedal and BB cup it wasn't clicking where I'd expect it too. Only by knowing roughly how much force it needed on the right threaded one let me know something wasn't right and to stop over tightening.

Odd as they shouldn't be used to undo things apparently, so anticlockwise use, which it has a switch for, is only for tightening but they're a bit rubbish for this (confirmed this from a number of articles on the web). Cheap wrenches that is.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    These work either way no problem
    park-tools-torque-wrench.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jsync
    jsync Posts: 120
    in the end i bought one fron b&q for around £30 better safe than sorry.....