Weird how full mudguards can completely change the vibe

noisepolluter
noisepolluter Posts: 64
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Just had some full length black-with-reflective guards fitted (albeit with about 2 microns clearance on the back wheel, compounded by the fact that it's squeezed under a very low-profile rack - there is literally no margin for error in lining the guard up dead straight).

Coupled with the reflective white wall on the tyres, it's added a sort of 1920's twist to the proceedings which I'm still trying to get used to. I have to admit I actually spent a while yesterday trying to get the reflective trim on the guard to follow the line of the tyre wall more pleasingly.

Part of me thinks I should have gone with unobtrusive plain black, but I have to admit that the reflective stuff does make the bike visible from wider angles in the headlights.

The guards have definitely made the whole thing look a bit more... er... sedate. I did consider the zefal croozer/swan removeable set but if these are more effective then I'll just have to get used to it looking a bit odd.
Cannondale Bad Boy SLX - commute and/or bad weather
Scott Speedster S20 - weekend and/or fair weather commute

Comments

• merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Is that on your cannondale badboy? I have a badboy 700 and have been putting off getting mudguards as I am not sure what will fit.
    If so what guards are they and any chance of some pics?
  • merkin wrote:
    Is that on your cannondale badboy? I have a badboy 700 and have been putting off getting mudguards as I am not sure what will fit.
    If so what guards are they and any chance of some pics?

Yes, it is. They're Tortec Reflector Guards - the front one went on with plenty of clearance, the rear one has less clearance between wheel and frame but still enough not to interfere with the wheel spinning - the only issue is that the rack is really low profile so is actually squeezing the rear guard slightly at the sides - doesn't make any functional difference though, and slight deformation of the guard isn't visible at all once pannier's on.

PS: I took the reflector off the rear guard, as the fastening screw protruded on the inside quite a bit, meaning that the guard had to stick out a long way at the back so as not to scrape the tyre.

Assuming your wheels and frame are the same as mine and your tyres are no fatter than my conti touring pluses, you should be fine. I think it just comes down to whether you find the cosmetics of it completely weird or not. If you don't choose the reflectors I imagine it will be a lot less obtrusive.

Here are some artlessly framed photos for anyone who fancies a giggle - for those who live locally, feel free to laugh at me in your own time as you go past.

Front wheel - bags of clearance

BBFront.jpg

Rear wheel - a bit tight - need to make sure it's on dead straight

BBRear.jpg

Overall view - Norman Schwarzkopf meets Bertie Wooster

BBfull.jpg

With flash - aaaargh! My eyes!

BBfulllitup.jpg
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I like it. Just in time for the darkness.

Besides it's just for the winter, right? :):wink:
  • Cafewanda wrote:
    I like it. Just in time for the darkness.

Besides it's just for the winter, right? :):wink:

Depends whether I end up having to pay someone to fit/remove the bloody things twice a year. :D